Can I claim ESA and PIP at the same time?

Hello everyone. I was hoping for some advice if any of you could help please. Can I claim ESA and PIP at the same time?

I have been unable to work due to mental illness and I have been claiming ESA [income related]. I have anxiety, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder that affect daily living. I am unable to leave the house and rely heavily on family members to help me. 

Someone I know, who has similar conditions, said that he claims both ESA and PIP and that it is fine to do so. I have researched the criteria for PIP and feel that I am eligible. However, I am worried that it will either replace, reduce or risk my ESA if I apply for PIP aswell.

Is there anyone else on here that can offer advice to ensure that this does not happen or what I should do incase it does? And just general advice when applying for it and things to expect from the assessment process?

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Parents
  • Thank you both for your advice!

Yes, I have recent medical letters from both my general physician and specialty doctor explaining a little about my conditions and inability to leave the house. Would I be able to a arrange a home assessment? As I mentioned before, I have been unable to leave the house; it has been nearly two years now.

As an autistic with anxiety, the idea of talking with someone sounds terrifying to me at the moment; especially an ‘assessor’ which is a daunting prospect in itself. When I am nervous I tend to be forgetful; what if I forget to mention something important or what if my answers are not as comprehensive as they may need them to be?

I was recently required to fill in a ESA50 form for the Department for work and pensions in which I detailled my healthcare professionals, my conditions, medication, treatments [past and present] aswell as daily living issues including: [all of which require assistance, prompting and/or supervision]

- Learning how to do tasks
    - Awareness of hazards or danger
    - Starting and finishing tasks
    - Coping with changes
    - Going out
    - Coping with social situations
    - Behaving appropriately

I thought about repurposing this into an F.A.Q of sorts that I could hand to the PIP assessor if I decide to claim. This could a effective way for me to say very little but still provide them with the information that they need. Some minor elaborations may be required but, with the support of a family member present, I will do my best in the moment- but at least the F.A.Q would have highlight the main points already. Is this a good idea?

Thank you again. Please keep your advice coming.

• Thank you both for your advice!

Yes, I have recent medical letters from both my general physician and specialty doctor explaining a little about my conditions and inability to leave the house. Would I be able to a arrange a home assessment? As I mentioned before, I have been unable to leave the house; it has been nearly two years now.

As an autistic with anxiety, the idea of talking with someone sounds terrifying to me at the moment; especially an ‘assessor’ which is a daunting prospect in itself. When I am nervous I tend to be forgetful; what if I forget to mention something important or what if my answers are not as comprehensive as they may need them to be?

I was recently required to fill in a ESA50 form for the Department for work and pensions in which I detailled my healthcare professionals, my conditions, medication, treatments [past and present] aswell as daily living issues including: [all of which require assistance, prompting and/or supervision]

- Learning how to do tasks
    - Awareness of hazards or danger
    - Starting and finishing tasks
    - Coping with changes
    - Going out
    - Coping with social situations
    - Behaving appropriately

I thought about repurposing this into an F.A.Q of sorts that I could hand to the PIP assessor if I decide to claim. This could a effective way for me to say very little but still provide them with the information that they need. Some minor elaborations may be required but, with the support of a family member present, I will do my best in the moment- but at least the F.A.Q would have highlight the main points already. Is this a good idea?

Thank you again. Please keep your advice coming.

Children
  • Yes you can arrange a home assessment.

The PIP process is slow. If you rang up today and your form came late next week you'd have 4 weeks to send it back. You can look up the descriptors today and start preparing your answers so that would give you at least 5 weeks to keep coming back to the form and adding any extra info. I updated my medical conditions in May and have a home assessment with Capita this weekend. Therefore, even after you've sent the form off there's a number of months to gather additional evidence to hand in on the day.

From what I remember the assessment is more of a conversation aimed at checking what you've written down is true, as well as an opportunity to find out more information if needed. If you think a FAQ sheet would help you could certainly add that as additional info at the start of your home visit. 

I've normally attended the assessment alone but as it's now at my house at a wekeend my husband is going to be there and has agreed to add any additional information if he thinks it would be beneficial.