Bad service in a shop

For the first time ever I went to a fishmonger's shop with my mum. I've always had a kind of phobia of butcher's and fishmonger's shops. 

Anyway, the staff in this fishmongers were all my worst fears confirmed. My mum asked the young woman behind the counter if any of the fish were local.

A young man and an older man both heard the question too. There was a silence for about 5 seconds while they looked at us like we had three heads.

Then the older man stepped in, and looking at the fish in the window and said with some disdain or annoyance the mackerel was probably local.

We bought a plaice and it was tasty enough but mine had a few bones still in it. we won't be going there again.

The thing that amazes me though is for a fishmonger's to keep going in today's economic climate they must have plenty of repeat customers. I just wonder why. The fish was more expensive than a supermarket, and in my opinion it's only worth paying more if the fishmonger is able to tell you about where the fish have come from.

Parents
  • I understand what you mean.  There are places where they emphasise the locality of their products.  Even supermarkets are copying the trend.

Several of my local fish & chips shops even have chalk notices stating which trawler caught their fish in which sea and where the fish was landed.  And  the type of potatoes and which farm they were grown on.

But many other shops are totally ignorant of this type of marketing and think people asking these questions are strange.

• There are places where they emphasise the locality of their products.

Like Vauxhall telling everyone how British they are when they've just been sold to Renault...... Smiley

Reply Children
  • Selling local produce and publicising it.  Is trendy. Should we believe what they say?

A bad case was a few years ago, where a door to door salesman was trying to persuade me to sign up to energy from British Gas, saying that my current supplier Npower was owned by a German company.