Holidays

I just wondered what the best sort of holidays people have had?

Parents
  • I enjoyed organised coach trips.  Where by just being on the trip, I belong to the group automatically although I've never met any of them before.

Also in the hotel and on excursions it's up to me whether I want to be alone or follow what the group or groups are doing.

• We're looking at doing one of these next March - no thinking required, all inclusive, all excursions thrown in - no stress, no organising, no driving - just sit back and let it all happen - and they will pick us up just down the road.

We're looking at Scotland - too far for me to drive and I've never been there - where do you go?

• I did two Scottish tours.  Both in January of successive years.  I thought I would be more guaranteed of snow than at home.  We got some snow but a lot of wind and rain.

I stayed at a hotel in a small place called Arrochar near loch long.

On the outward journey we visited a town called Moffat in the southern uplands. Near one of the endless woollen mill shops.  These are tourist traps.  Woollen jumpers permanently on sale reduced from £240 to only £100.

We had days out to

• Town of Oban 
    • Fort William 
    • Town of Callander 
    • Drive through Glen Coe 
    • Town of Inveraray 
    • Drive round loch lomond 

And of course woollen mill shop after woollen mill shop.  These and wetherspoon pubs were good shelters from the rain.

On the way back we stopped for lunch and a couple of hours at Gretna green and more woollen mill shops.

• I did two Scottish tours.  Both in January of successive years.  I thought I would be more guaranteed of snow than at home.  We got some snow but a lot of wind and rain.

I stayed at a hotel in a small place called Arrochar near loch long.

On the outward journey we visited a town called Moffat in the southern uplands. Near one of the endless woollen mill shops.  These are tourist traps.  Woollen jumpers permanently on sale reduced from £240 to only £100.

We had days out to

• Town of Oban 
    • Fort William 
    • Town of Callander 
    • Drive through Glen Coe 
    • Town of Inveraray 
    • Drive round loch lomond 

And of course woollen mill shop after woollen mill shop.  These and wetherspoon pubs were good shelters from the rain.

On the way back we stopped for lunch and a couple of hours at Gretna green and more woollen mill shops.

Children
  • Yeah - that sort of thing.  I think January in Scotland would be a bit hard-core Smiley  

We're looking at doing one that includes visiting a bunch of castles.   The cost of the week away is so low that it would cost me more in petrol to drive there & back - around £230 - and they feed me and put me up in a hotel - can't beat it..

Our neighbour has done a couple and she rates them highly.