Noise sensitivity or something else?

Hi all, 

Got to say that even after almost a year, I'm finding understanding my triggers that are so contradictory almost impossible. 

Today I've had to come home sick from sensory overload because of some heavy hammering being done behind me with no warning. 

There's plenty of evidence that I struggle with sensory issues.   However there's also contradictions.  Give me a hammer and I'll happily hit things on occasion. 

Is there some subtlety around sensory overload around lack of anticipation that makes the difference? 

Do other autistic people find their sensory issues simpler, whether they're creating the noise or not? 

Thanks, 

Craig

Parents
  • Hi Craig,

I have thought about this issue myself, and I think it's about control. I have huge sensory issues with noise, one of my worse ones is people using those Dyson hand dryers in public toilets, but I use them myself! If I use one myself (or a hammer, drill, whatever) I'm prepared for the noise, and can tolerate it as I can control it, but if other people create the noise, especially if it's unexpected, or lasts a long time, it can literally make me so distressed I scream/cry/cover my ears. The worse thing is if I accidentally set one off as I walk past it, that can make me jump out of my skin. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes, as other people don't get the control thing! So it's not just you Slight smile

• Hi Craig,

I have thought about this issue myself, and I think it's about control. I have huge sensory issues with noise, one of my worse ones is people using those Dyson hand dryers in public toilets, but I use them myself! If I use one myself (or a hammer, drill, whatever) I'm prepared for the noise, and can tolerate it as I can control it, but if other people create the noise, especially if it's unexpected, or lasts a long time, it can literally make me so distressed I scream/cry/cover my ears. The worse thing is if I accidentally set one off as I walk past it, that can make me jump out of my skin. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes, as other people don't get the control thing! So it's not just you Slight smile

Children
No Data