Disability discrimination

I’m having a lot of issues at work and facing dismissal.  This has gone to the most senior level of the organisation, and is what I believe to be a very clear case of closing ranks.  

Has anyone been in this position and what did you do?  I can’t afford a solicitor but am thinking of approaching the no win no fee ones.  My employer has not made reasonable adjustments and has turned a blind eye to blatant bullying comments made by other staff members.  

I have demonstrated I can do the job, and have it in writing (before I disclosed autism) that there are no issues with my ability to do the work.  That has since changed to concerns that I can’t do my job.  And that as a junior member of staff they can’t make reasonable adjustments because that means I would be unable to learn from other people. 

Parents
  • I'm sorry to read about your problems at work. May I say this is one of the reasons I wish not to disclose my diagnosis to my employer after finding out just recently that I have an ASC. I've held my job for close to 20 years and although I can feel anxious and stressed at times in the building I always keep in my head that I'll be home soon.

I hope you manage to resolve your problems at work and can carry on. It's such a shame as you've already said

I have demonstrated I can do the job, and have it in writing (before I disclosed autism) that there are no issues with my ability to do the work.  That has since changed to concerns that I can’t do my job.  And that as a junior member of staff they can’t make reasonable adjustments because that means I would be unable to learn from other people. 

It just doesn't seem fair at all? 

• I'm sorry to read about your problems at work. May I say this is one of the reasons I wish not to disclose my diagnosis to my employer after finding out just recently that I have an ASC. I've held my job for close to 20 years and although I can feel anxious and stressed at times in the building I always keep in my head that I'll be home soon.

I hope you manage to resolve your problems at work and can carry on. It's such a shame as you've already said

It just doesn't seem fair at all? 

Children
  • It’s not.  They told me in writing they were looking to confirm my employment last year, and then I disclosed my condition because I was having a lot of difficulty with the environment, and since then they’ve told me there are concerns about my ability to do the job and communicate.