Bottling things up and not intentionally!

Things are a bit stressful at the moment in all areas of my life and I can slowly start to feel myself becoming overwhelmed with it all.

Most people suggest talking to someone in these times, to help 'air' ones problems and maybe get some third party insight into the problem.  Although I do not care for opinions on my problems so much (I do know how to tackle most, but I am still overwhelmed) I am finding I am getting to a point I need to voice what is going on and get things off my chest so to speak.

The problem is I have no one to turn to.  I have no friends or close family - my partner and I am not on good terms at the moment, so I literally have no one I can talk to.

I was wondering if anyone else is or has been in similar situations?

Helplines are a no go for me and as much as I like these forums, I am fully aware there is only so much you can or should share.

For those who don't really have anyone to turn to, how do you deal with situations that are growing and becoming too much to handle?

Parents
  • I have been in similar situations many a time. I find sharing my problems so difficult, even with people I trust as I find I end up either giving them a watered down version of the issue to the point that they get the impression that it isn't all that bad or get frustrated and snap at them because I can't express myself how I would like.

The only thing that has worked for me is writing and not necessarily writing down my problems but just writing something that might convey the emotions and thoughts I am feeling. Whether it is in the form of a story or poem or even random sentences doesn't really matter so long as I am able to get things off my chest. Although I do realise this is something that might not be useful to everyone.

• get frustrated and snap at them because I can't express myself how I would like

I can relate to that so much... Whenever I've tried I have usually come away feeling worse. Failure to communicate how I really feel, failure to even show emotion, failure to relieve the stress. 

The writing thing is a good tip, I have a mental block with words especially when my most vulnerable emotions are at the surface. I become mute and sometimes physically cannot speak. There is no block when I type or write - it just flows. It's like the words are within me but if they come out my mouth they are translated by an idiot, my brain tricks me. The words come out of my hands exactly as they are thought.

Have you tried writing before Starbuck? In the meantime when you're feeling overwhelmed have you got somewhere you can escape to and be yourself? 

• Yes I used to write a lot, especially in my teens and early 20s. I've found as I have got older I struggle with this more and more. I have to be alone when I write and finding that space can be impossible nowadays. I can't write in public places either. Weird I know but I think it comes down to feeling too anxious and not being able to concentrate on what I need to say.

• No, I absolutely get that. Being alone and your natural self is really important when thinking about your emotions.

Reply Children
No Data