Dealing with smells

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with smells without coming across badly?

I'm starting to get really sensitive to smells such as:

• Junk food that our daughter and boyfriend tend to cook late at night after we've cleaned and freshened the kitchen (OK I know asking her not to is an option and it seems to be working *for now*).
  • Orange peel - after a few minutes for me this stops smelling of oranges and starts smelling like stale cigarette ash
  • Things like pilchards in salads that people eat at their desks in the office
  • Strong perfumes, hand creams & air fresheners

No word of a lie some of these smells actually give me a headache.

I wish there were a nasal equivalent of noise cancelling ear buds!

Parents

The Joys of modern office life!

Like you, I cannot abide a lot of smells.  In fact, I don't like most smells at all - especially what would be described as 'food' smells.  They often make me retch.

Everyone in my workplace knows I don't like the smell of food, and always warn me when they are about to prepare something for their lunch.  I must admit I got my own back once when I heated some kippers and it smelled out not only the office but the stairs to the front door.  I was told not to do it again by the manager!  But that is very unfair I thought as others make smells I don't like.

I usually remove myself from the office and have my butties in the air outside, but that is not really an answer. Trying to disguise smells with another one just 'mixes' them and can make me dislike a smell I previously liked.  Short of a space helmet, I don't think anything will help me tolerate the smells.  Like many other things, removing the problem (in this case by moving away from it) is my way of dealing with it.

The Joys of modern office life!

Like you, I cannot abide a lot of smells.  In fact, I don't like most smells at all - especially what would be described as 'food' smells.  They often make me retch.

Everyone in my workplace knows I don't like the smell of food, and always warn me when they are about to prepare something for their lunch.  I must admit I got my own back once when I heated some kippers and it smelled out not only the office but the stairs to the front door.  I was told not to do it again by the manager!  But that is very unfair I thought as others make smells I don't like.

I usually remove myself from the office and have my butties in the air outside, but that is not really an answer. Trying to disguise smells with another one just 'mixes' them and can make me dislike a smell I previously liked.  Short of a space helmet, I don't think anything will help me tolerate the smells.  Like many other things, removing the problem (in this case by moving away from it) is my way of dealing with it.

Children
No Data