"Fixing" our "undesirable traits"

I have literally felt exhausted over the last few years due to pressure put on me to conform and "fix" my behavioural aspects that don't conform to those of a NT person. It seems that people either know very little about autism or just don't recognise it within me. Whatever the case, I find that my quirky, somewhat abnormal behavioural traits are not tolerated and are seen as really undesirable, but the worst part is that they're seen to be my own fault.

Everyone, it seems, believes that any slightly aggressive or abrupt utterances from me are due to "unresolved conflict" from the past. I actually have done a lot of work on myself and have had years of therapy, but I think there comes a point where I need to be accepted for who I am. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm not trying to make excuses. We all need to work at our weaknesses and on improving ourselves, and I have worked hard at mine, but I feel it's hard enough being different and having to manage all my emotions and sensitivities without having people blaming me for them on top of this.

A NT people may need to get out of a crowd due to some traumatic experience they'd had in the past, but when someone with autism needs to get out of a crowd, they just need to get out because they feel crowded in and claustrophobic. An autistic person's need for space isn't to my mind something that needs to be corrected, or even can be, it's just a fact that they will feel that way. I'm sure there are many more examples, but this is the first one that comes to mind. Agreed, we can work on our anxiety perhaps. but I really object to having to conform to the norms of NT people just because they don't understand us.

Parents
  • This kind of illustrates it... my mental image is more of the NA pulling against a bungee cord though.

I may have to draw something

• Greetings to Prankster (...I still think of You as "Neekby", though!)

...I keep seeing this Thread popping up.

...I am surprised/disappointed that not a one person has voted up this picture, though. Maybe because it literally "cuts to the bone" or something... or persons have taken a dislike to the UpVote-Button due to recent events...?

There is a punctuation error upon the picture, however. The "Him" is an NA. The "Her" is an NT and then an NA.

...What does NA mean?  NT = Neurotypical, NA = Not Austistic...?

• I felt that this image got right to the heart of some of the responses I've had from NT friends/family i.e. they idea that they're being 'generous' in offering to make the effort to close the current gap... when the truth is I'm 'slowly bleeding to death' from the effort required to get to where I am and they don't see that...

This is yet another reason why masking is bad in the long run...

• I felt that this image got right to the heart of some of the responses I've had from NT friends/family i.e. they idea that they're being 'generous' in offering to make the effort to close the current gap... when the truth is I'm 'slowly bleeding to death' from the effort required to get to where I am and they don't see that...

This is yet another reason why masking is bad in the long run...

Children
No Data