Why do flats never seem to have decent soundproofing?

Is it even possible to soundproof effectively so you can't hear someone above you or below you?

I can hear the man in the flat beneath me banging doors and moving things around, it gets on my nerves.

In another flat I had I could hear when the man downstairs coughed. Yes, really, coughed! I noticed he did it sometimes when I was walking around the flat quite a bit, doing chores.

Parents
  • Hello,

I had the same situation living in between two noisy neighbours below me and above me. I had to move in the end as it was making me ill. I currently live in supported housing but next to a pub and a busy road so you can imagine what life is like. But why are we trying to live in accomodation not suited to our needs? Why is there a lack of housing that is designed for and by autistic people? I have emailed my MP and the housing minister about this. I would like to see the NAS do more about this issue. Imagine if we could live in a quiet area and have access to support in order to be more independent. In short, we could be ourself's and not have to try and fit in. 

• Hello,

I had the same situation living in between two noisy neighbours below me and above me. I had to move in the end as it was making me ill. I currently live in supported housing but next to a pub and a busy road so you can imagine what life is like. But why are we trying to live in accomodation not suited to our needs? Why is there a lack of housing that is designed for and by autistic people? I have emailed my MP and the housing minister about this. I would like to see the NAS do more about this issue. Imagine if we could live in a quiet area and have access to support in order to be more independent. In short, we could be ourself's and not have to try and fit in. 

Children
No Data