Autism and the workplace. What are your stories/experiences?

I have just been diagnosed with Aspergers. I’m fairly ‘high-functioning’. You wouldn’t know I had Aspergers unless you had spent a few days in my company. My main symptoms tend to be general social awkwardness and saying the wrong thing rather than being unable to understand the body language of others or others intentions.

i also have strong obsessions, anxiety, depression and ocd.

i am a qualified social worker and have done well to get that qualification. However I’ve chosen the wrong career for me. It’s stressful and requires team-work, social skills and good organisational skills.

i manage well enough though.

My experience, particularly in social work and health fields, is that I am bullied at work. Picked on by managers a lot, subjected to people assuming good unauthorised authority over me and being the subject to ridicule. I seem to offend a lot and get unwritten rules wrong. I have so far found being in the workplace unbearable overall and very stressful and I’ve worked in several offices now. I have only worked in one where I felt welcomed and understood.

im now unemployed but I want to make sure I minimise the chance of having the same problem again.

what have your experiences been at work? Anything that you found helpful? 

Parents
  • I was diagnosed with aspergers in April. I work in a primary school.  I haven’t had any adjustments made, just a few conversations with the head! (I am very awkward and struggle with change ha). I’ve been told I still need to be able to do my job which I absolutely can.  

• I was diagnosed with aspergers in April. I work in a primary school.  I haven’t had any adjustments made, just a few conversations with the head! (I am very awkward and struggle with change ha). I’ve been told I still need to be able to do my job which I absolutely can.  

Children
No Data