MRI for autism diagnosis?

I've been reading about how there was a study that could diagnose autism using MRI scans of the brain. This doesn't seem to be part of the normal diagnosis process yet. (?)

I had an MRI aout 10 years ago, long before I ever thought about autism. The clinic still has my scans. Is it worth requesting them to be posted to me? Is there any point? I have my second assessment appointment next week.

Parents Reply Children
  • If accuracy can be fixed, then I think it would be much cheaper. It takes less than 5 minutes to do a T1 structural scan at 1mm resolution. Filling in safety forms and preparing to go in would take longer, but they don't need to have psychiatrists or psychologists supervising you to do that. They could easily see over 20 people a day. No more long waiting lists!

• Oh - not as expensive as I thought & yep probably cheaper than assessment. I was trying to guess internal economics of NHS but not putting any real effort into numbers, just a feeling. Scanner calendar availability / prioritisation could play a part I guess, but yes accuracy would be a biggie if the science isn't there yet.