Having An Autistic Burnout, help needed!

For the last six weeks or so, I've been experiencing a burnout with just about everything. I've lost my interests in reading and writing, my social activities face to face have all but vanished. There are moments where I can sleep for hours and still wake up exhausted or not get to sleep at all. I've been freaking out over the littlest of things such as money, public transport, the weather etc. I'm such a disappointment. I've looked into getting support but nothing is available in my area for people my age. HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!

Parents
  • Hi Ally,

Firstly you aren’t a disappointment. This is something that can happen with autism. I think you only got a recent diagnosis? In which case this is all new to you and you will have been through s really stressful time, so it’s not that surprising. I was diagnosed about 6 months before you so can relate.

I have quite often ended up in the state you describe and the only thing that works for me is to completely stop for a while. Sleep, or rest if you can’t actually sleep, watch crap telly etc. I found when I got to the point I couldn’t read as normal that going back to kids books worked. Also kids tv. Needs much less concentration (and the worst witch it turns out is ace!)

You need to be nice to yourself, which is I know easier said than done. Things can get better.

Sending virtual hugs x

• I've definitely been sleeping a lot more often. I used to get up early with no issues, but now I end up sleeping through alarms and a family member has to wake me up! I'm currently using lots of Netflix, which so far is helping so I'll keep that in mind.

• I've definitely been sleeping a lot more often. I used to get up early with no issues, but now I end up sleeping through alarms and a family member has to wake me up! I'm currently using lots of Netflix, which so far is helping so I'll keep that in mind.

Children
No Data