Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents Reply Children
  • Similarly, I told my immediate team at the start of the year that I was undergoing assessment for ASD - it explained the frequent 'Dr appointments' I was attending, plus there were a couple of low-level 'incidents' where I was... overly honest in my feedback on a subject (!) and it seemed appropriate to provide some sort of explanation...

When I got the diagnosis I told the overall manager - I was the second person in 2 weeks to let him know they'd been diagnosed with ASD as an adult.