Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents
  • Check company policies and procedures to start with - Mental Health, Diversity, Equality, Reasonable Changes, Sickness, etc as they identify key information.  Be aware that Equality Act 2010 states you do not need a diagnosis (or if you do then your employer does not need to be told - from my employers company policies).

I would document things to cover your back - put it in writing to your manager/HR and Occupational Health (They may provide an Advice Note for a Temporary/Permanent restriction to cover yourself and the company).

Being fully open, the bullying damager would not believe it until a full diagnosis (even though OH advice note covered me) which means outside procedure and discrimination.  This is approaching a peak now after 18 months yet I am still waiting for full diagnosis.

Do not be put off disclosing or not but make sure you understand the background within your company.

• Thanks, I will find out about the policies and procedures. 

Reply Children
No Data