Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents
  • I found that telling work was necessary to get adjustments I needed in any case - I had a massive burnout and wouldn't have been able to get back on track at work without talking about suspecting ASD to highlight what was exhausting and stressing me.

I would think if you've been there 7 years, they would know and value you and react with understanding (apart from the fact that they're legally obliged to).

My diagnosis may yet turn out negative formally, but has already confirmed on paper the difficulties that my "reasonable adjustments" are based on, so it probably doesn't matter as far as work goes.

• Thanks. I didn’t realise reasonable adjustments could be made without a diagnosis. 

In a way I wish I had gone through the process earlier in life as I have really struggled. 

Luckily, I have a good manager so I stuck it out. 

Reply Children
No Data