Failed autism test...

But I have major communication problems and when I watch videos of people with autism speaking about their communication problems it hits home with me, a video I watched yesterday even made me realise why I always pull my phone out to play with/look at when I'm speaking in appointments etc. Never understood why I done that but now I realised it kinda helps me speak a little better.

I have no light/sound sensitivity or anything like that, only the communication problems. They say it's down to social anxiety but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to be autistic with only communication problems?

I failed the test and the psychiatrist said it's just anxiety.... but I don't understand how anxiety can cripple your communication skills as badly as mine every day in life

Parents
  • Anxiety can be crippling and seriously impact on your life - communication is just one area.

It sounds like you are looking for answers, so I would suggest maybe looking into anxiety more to see if your communication issues are linked.  I didn't know I was suffering from anxiety until my GP explained it for me (I am not good at understanding what I am feeling/if I am ill etc.) - I have always had anxiety and still do (but much better managed thanks to medication and other self-help techniques), I didn't know any different until I began managing it better and trust me, I didn't realise how great things can be with it weighing you down substantially.

I couldn't eat, sleep, work, leave the house; my life was ruled by it.

You may not have got the exact answers you want, but it may be a solution for you, which in the long run is what really matters.  If after some work around the anxiety front, you feel there is more to it, then I would suggest going back to your GP.

• Anxiety can be crippling and seriously impact on your life - communication is just one area.

It sounds like you are looking for answers, so I would suggest maybe looking into anxiety more to see if your communication issues are linked.  I didn't know I was suffering from anxiety until my GP explained it for me (I am not good at understanding what I am feeling/if I am ill etc.) - I have always had anxiety and still do (but much better managed thanks to medication and other self-help techniques), I didn't know any different until I began managing it better and trust me, I didn't realise how great things can be with it weighing you down substantially.

I couldn't eat, sleep, work, leave the house; my life was ruled by it.

You may not have got the exact answers you want, but it may be a solution for you, which in the long run is what really matters.  If after some work around the anxiety front, you feel there is more to it, then I would suggest going back to your GP.

Children
No Data