On being seen as too able

I am waiting to hear a response from an ASD clinic on being put on a waiting list for an assessement.

My worry is that during the interview (and when claiming benifits), I will be perceived as 'too able' and misdiagnosed or rejected, due to my intellectual ability, and that my speech will sometimes appear normal when interested in a topic. I have learning difficulties when it comes to comprehension (making sense of information), but in terms of fluid intelligence (pattern recognition), I am able to use inductive reasoning to assess situations or problems and find ways to cope - I am the type of person your parents would ask on how a piece of technology works for instance, because I like to tinker.

I am debating how I should appear in the interview, even though it could be months ahead. I have heard people use the term 'masking' for when adapting their behaviour to model that of a neurotypic person. I am a very ethical and rational person, so it is playing on my mind.

Parents
  • Hello CallMeBob,

I have the same issue as I am seen as being independent and able but as you know this is not always the case as people do not see the turmoil of trying to cope with life. I may go out shopping albeit late at night but I often return shaking with fright due to having to drive. Please be your self at the interview and try and use as many examples as possible to demonstrate how you manage to cope.

• Hello CallMeBob,

I have the same issue as I am seen as being independent and able but as you know this is not always the case as people do not see the turmoil of trying to cope with life. I may go out shopping albeit late at night but I often return shaking with fright due to having to drive. Please be your self at the interview and try and use as many examples as possible to demonstrate how you manage to cope.

Children
No Data