Tinnitus & possible hearing loss?

I'm posting this on behalf of someone else who is highly likely autistic. They have had severe high pitched tinnitus for a few weeks which started 3 days after wax being removed by practice nurse (ear 'syringing') GP has arranged referral to ENT doctor but wait is nearly 5 months. I read that tinnitus is often linked to some hearing loss in certain frequencies (the brain tries to "fill in" the missing sounds) and if so, hearing aids can help. Free hearing tests are available at Specsavers, but hearing aids from them cost £495-£2500 plus, whereas they would be provided free from the NHS, but after a potential 5 month wait suffering from a debilitating constant sensory assault with the usual associated anxiety this causes for those of us on the AS spectrum (although it can of course also be a strain for people who are not autistic) Two types of anti-anxiety medications have been prescribed so far, but neither seem to help.

I just  wanted to ask if anyone has suffered with tinnitus, and if so whether hearing aids helped?

Parents
  • I have profound loss in my left ear, and some in my right.  I also have permanent tinnitus in my left ear.

Some days, I cope better.  Other days I want to rip my ear off, it's that aggravating.  The biggest thing for me which might help is that it is always worse when I'm tired.  It seems louder somehow.  So I have to make sure I get enough regular sleep and it's bearable.

As for hearing aids, I haven't found them to help combat hearing loss over tinnitus, unfortunately.  It's not to say it doesn't work, but for me the extra sound makes little difference.  Tinnitus originates past the eardrum, so it's irrelevant how much sound get pumped into the ear.

I would suggest sound therapies - there's noise generators on the web and apps that can help mask the sound. But it's if the person can cope with those sounds.  Seashores are a good natural sound alternative, or rain.  Any kind of sound that generates almost randomly across all frequencies.  Alternatively, do a Youtube search for Tinnitus Sound Therapy and you'll get lots of long videos of different types of sounds.

It doesn't work for me as it would have to be very loud, but might help your someone else to cope.

• I have profound loss in my left ear, and some in my right.  I also have permanent tinnitus in my left ear.

Some days, I cope better.  Other days I want to rip my ear off, it's that aggravating.  The biggest thing for me which might help is that it is always worse when I'm tired.  It seems louder somehow.  So I have to make sure I get enough regular sleep and it's bearable.

As for hearing aids, I haven't found them to help combat hearing loss over tinnitus, unfortunately.  It's not to say it doesn't work, but for me the extra sound makes little difference.  Tinnitus originates past the eardrum, so it's irrelevant how much sound get pumped into the ear.

I would suggest sound therapies - there's noise generators on the web and apps that can help mask the sound. But it's if the person can cope with those sounds.  Seashores are a good natural sound alternative, or rain.  Any kind of sound that generates almost randomly across all frequencies.  Alternatively, do a Youtube search for Tinnitus Sound Therapy and you'll get lots of long videos of different types of sounds.

It doesn't work for me as it would have to be very loud, but might help your someone else to cope.

Children
  • I have tinnitus and was diagnosed with hearing loss after a serious illness but before I was diagnosed aspergers. I think the hearing loss was a misdiagnosis.  I just can't filter noise so everything sounds loud and I can't pick out the conversation.  The hearing test in the little booth was a guessing game because I couldn't work out whether I was hearing the signal or the tinnitus.

Hearing aids made everything more confusing. Technology has moved on so might be better of course.

Sorry, not much help to your friend. Humming to myself is the only thing that helps the tinnitus briefly.