Tinnitus & possible hearing loss?

I'm posting this on behalf of someone else who is highly likely autistic. They have had severe high pitched tinnitus for a few weeks which started 3 days after wax being removed by practice nurse (ear 'syringing') GP has arranged referral to ENT doctor but wait is nearly 5 months. I read that tinnitus is often linked to some hearing loss in certain frequencies (the brain tries to "fill in" the missing sounds) and if so, hearing aids can help. Free hearing tests are available at Specsavers, but hearing aids from them cost £495-£2500 plus, whereas they would be provided free from the NHS, but after a potential 5 month wait suffering from a debilitating constant sensory assault with the usual associated anxiety this causes for those of us on the AS spectrum (although it can of course also be a strain for people who are not autistic) Two types of anti-anxiety medications have been prescribed so far, but neither seem to help.

I just  wanted to ask if anyone has suffered with tinnitus, and if so whether hearing aids helped?

Parents
  • I have had tinnitus for years. For me, it's like a high-pitched whine - I describe it as like having a fine silver wire strung taut through my skull.

I'm usually only aware of it when it's quiet e.g. at night, in bed. But in the 2 weeks after my diagnosis it seemed so loud all the time I was surprised other people couldn't hear it (stress I guess).

Anyway, I've never tried hearing aids or anything else - I'm used to it now.

I guess that doesn't help much.

• I have had tinnitus for years. For me, it's like a high-pitched whine - I describe it as like having a fine silver wire strung taut through my skull.

I'm usually only aware of it when it's quiet e.g. at night, in bed. But in the 2 weeks after my diagnosis it seemed so loud all the time I was surprised other people couldn't hear it (stress I guess).

Anyway, I've never tried hearing aids or anything else - I'm used to it now.

I guess that doesn't help much.

Children
No Data