Do you find any antidepressants are effective for depression symptoms for those with ASD?

Many reports state there is no good evidence that SSRIs and othe antidepressants are effective for those with ASD. Certinly I have tried about 30 and never found any that helped me. I wonder if anyone has found one that is helpful in depression ( when you have ASD)?

Parents
  • My personal experience is that I haven't found them particularly helpful. I'm on them more for anxiety but I still go through the same highs and lows that I did without them. If I get depressed it can still be crushingly deep and all that helps is time. I've tried Citalopram, Sertraline, Mirtazapine and am currently on Fluoxetine. Changed a few times because they didn't seem to help much but Mirt was a bit of a nightmare as it gave me angry outbursts and weird surges (brain zaps). Stuck with Fluoxetine as I don't want to play side effect roulette again and this at least at a low dose does't seem to hurt - although 40mg and above makes my ears whistle.

If I get diagnosed with ASD when my turn comes I'll probably try and work up the guts to ask my dr if taking these pills is any use to me... 

• My personal experience is that I haven't found them particularly helpful. I'm on them more for anxiety but I still go through the same highs and lows that I did without them. If I get depressed it can still be crushingly deep and all that helps is time. I've tried Citalopram, Sertraline, Mirtazapine and am currently on Fluoxetine. Changed a few times because they didn't seem to help much but Mirt was a bit of a nightmare as it gave me angry outbursts and weird surges (brain zaps). Stuck with Fluoxetine as I don't want to play side effect roulette again and this at least at a low dose does't seem to hurt - although 40mg and above makes my ears whistle.

If I get diagnosed with ASD when my turn comes I'll probably try and work up the guts to ask my dr if taking these pills is any use to me... 

Children
No Data