Anyone interested in motorbikes?

I'm fairly new here and newly diagnosed with ASD. Anyway, motorbikes are one of my interests, and, well, it might be a long shot,  I was wondering if anyone else here is into them too. I don't know anyone else IRL who shares this enthusiasm. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who is interested.

Parents
  • there a girl in my town and she rides a very cool bike........ its an RD250 RD200 its like a 1980s yellow yamaha and she wears yellow and black leathers to match ------ she goes so fast on that thing i never get a good look at the bike . She pasted me on a motorway months ago. i was doing  70mph  and she was going past me  with ease -

just love the smell she leaves  from the 2 stroke engine

turns out as shown below there was a 400 as well which explains her speed.

her  bike is immaculate 

• my first bike was a yellow RD250 my third was a white 400

• when u see it now it is just so cool.  it is like a wasp passing you

Reply Children
  • When I was a kid some guy outside the chippy got on one of those and gave it the beans up the road, and I was hooked! It was SO quick compared to anything else I'd seen pull away from me.

Some years later I got the 250 version that had been modified for track use, it had the loudest expansion pipes on it, and was satisfyingly fast, but too loud for the police. Eventually I got stopped by a copper who'd stopped me before, and he promised to really do me good, if I didn't change 'em. So I did, bought a pair of LC pipes (they were after all semi expansion pipes) and the phantom welder made 'em fit real nice. I'd gotten used to the hideous racket making me pretty invincible in overtaking situations, like everyone knew exactly where I was, particularly as I hit the power band and so it turned out. Robbed of my invincibility, I soon found myself destroying the motorcycle (and the mini it hit) during a particularly ADD inspired overtake. 

Pity really, it was the only motorcyle to inspire a loose woman to walk up to me and say "You must be Steve, I do like your banana", and then prove it in a most agreeable way! (How she knew we called it that I have no Idea..) 

Before it's demise, one day coming back from Grantham in about 1985 I was giving it the beans, hanging on for grim death at about 80 leaning as far as I dared, and some guy on a red and white machine sailed past making no effort at all...

THAT machine turned out to be the super rare and valuable RD500YPVS. In turn the YPVS 500 frame got fitted with their FZ750f motor, and the Yamaha Genesis was created. I test rode one of those once, around the lovely Redditch ring road system, (also an ex proddie racer) and it felt so easy to overtake and so stable, I believed I was doing about 90, however, when I glanced at the clocks It turned out I was doing ~134, at a nice stable lean, just sailing on down that road.

The Japanese abruptly learned how to make good handling motorcycles in the early 1980's and those late seventies RD's whilst not fog producing death traps like Kawasakis triples or possessed with the psychopathic attitude towards road holding of the Suzuki GT250, still needed a bit of care. These 250 bikes are all pretty rare now, I can tell you, because so many seventies 17 year olds got straight on these, after fitting shiny new L plates and threw them into hard objects, seemingly posessed by the "Divine Wind" from the east. Once they started making them handle safely, it was all over for the British motorcycle industry...   

OF course the trouble with good handling motorbikes is that when you finally manage to fall off, you are likely to be going considerably fast...

I've managed to get the "Genocide" (of course I ruddy well bought it! Wouldn't you? 130 without even trying? :c) through 20,000 miles of my style of riding. I've had it stolen (and gone and found & recovered it using what appears to be psychic means) twice. (I put my hands out to my sides, palms front, rotate on the spot and somehow just know which way to start walking.. It works, I don't question it!) despite keeping it looking like crap as a deterrent measure. (I keep it mechanically spot on, my life depends on that, but I don't want people to covet the thing) Eventually, I replaced the missing steering lock...

Apart from going off with other people occasionally, it's been a most dependable and surprisingly safe machine to live with, and surprisingly (actually amazingly) economical to own. Admittedly I don't do wheelies, and I let it get warm before turning the taps on properly, (all of which saves you big money on the mechanical side of things) The thing that amazes me is how darn comfortable it is. I can do a 75 mile each way trip and get off the thing still feeling spry. (Although I've not done that for a while now) and that diddy front wheel, although it respects being allowed to find it's own line, seems to make the bike nice and easy to handle even for a streak of **** like myself. Not a good one for the ladies, though, although my eight year old daughter liked the pillion seat for a few years.    

Hope no-one minds me filling up your screen with my ramblings, but I've not ridden for a while, and I think after this evenings reflection that it's about time it moved back up my list of priorities.