Anyone interested in motorbikes?

I'm fairly new here and newly diagnosed with ASD. Anyway, motorbikes are one of my interests, and, well, it might be a long shot,  I was wondering if anyone else here is into them too. I don't know anyone else IRL who shares this enthusiasm. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who is interested.

Parents
  • Hi

I know this is an old post but I stumbled across this and Im wondered if anyone can help. My son is 23 and he absolutely loves loves motorcycles and all he wants to do is own a motorcycle and ride a motorcycle but he has autism and epilepsy and I know that he will no be able to handle it or will know how to in the streets. Do you have any advice on where I can get a motorcycle that he may ride around the neighbourhood and will not go faster than 20 mph.  

• Unfortunately I don't know what the rules are with epilepsy so it may be necessary to see if he can ride legally?

I used to ride a motorbike. It's important to have some power as it can help him to get out of dangerous situations if he needs to. Scooters are the easiest, they are often called a twist and go and are exactly that. Motorbikes take a little more getting used to as they require a combination of foot and hand coordination. It took me a while but I managed. I also preferred the bike to the scooter.

For motorcycles you'd be looking at about 125cc's. Gear includes Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and trousers. It racks up but worth spending the money to start with. Focus the money on the Helmet. Never buy one second hand and purchase from a shop so he can try it on and the staff can help ensure it fits correctly.

He can do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). It will involve a day of theory and rider training, first in a safe place, like a carpark, than out on the road under supervision of an instructor. It assumes some knowledge of the road so it's worth him being aware of the road rules. Perhaps, talk about the road as your both in the car, driving together?

By doing the CBT, he would get an idea of if he really wanted to ride or not as some people find that once you have to deal with the gear, and the traffic, plus the rain which gets in everywhere, and generally trying to handle the bike, it loses it's appeal. If he struggles with the CBT, it shouldn't discourage him as it can be daunting. But he should listen to the advice of the instructor. They are all experts and can see where the issues are. The instructor will not allow him to go on the road if he doesn't think he's ready for it.

My very first CBT, I got so stressed that my instructor decided to stop where we were and pick it up the following week. They won't all do that, but the break for me meant that I was able to go out on the road the next time, more confident and having had the chance to take in the information. I passed.

• Unfortunately I don't know what the rules are with epilepsy so it may be necessary to see if he can ride legally?

I used to ride a motorbike. It's important to have some power as it can help him to get out of dangerous situations if he needs to. Scooters are the easiest, they are often called a twist and go and are exactly that. Motorbikes take a little more getting used to as they require a combination of foot and hand coordination. It took me a while but I managed. I also preferred the bike to the scooter.

For motorcycles you'd be looking at about 125cc's. Gear includes Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and trousers. It racks up but worth spending the money to start with. Focus the money on the Helmet. Never buy one second hand and purchase from a shop so he can try it on and the staff can help ensure it fits correctly.

He can do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). It will involve a day of theory and rider training, first in a safe place, like a carpark, than out on the road under supervision of an instructor. It assumes some knowledge of the road so it's worth him being aware of the road rules. Perhaps, talk about the road as your both in the car, driving together?

By doing the CBT, he would get an idea of if he really wanted to ride or not as some people find that once you have to deal with the gear, and the traffic, plus the rain which gets in everywhere, and generally trying to handle the bike, it loses it's appeal. If he struggles with the CBT, it shouldn't discourage him as it can be daunting. But he should listen to the advice of the instructor. They are all experts and can see where the issues are. The instructor will not allow him to go on the road if he doesn't think he's ready for it.

My very first CBT, I got so stressed that my instructor decided to stop where we were and pick it up the following week. They won't all do that, but the break for me meant that I was able to go out on the road the next time, more confident and having had the chance to take in the information. I passed.

Children
No Data