Assesment advice

Hello, 

So a year ago I went for an initial meet with someone from the mental health team regarding the possibility of aspergers. They had me answer some questions about me and my childhood and got me to do some questionnaires. 

I have received a letter today to see a psychiatrist for an autism spectrum disorder assesment. Which says it will last 2 hours. I was meant to receive forms but they were not included so i am waiting on them so I'm not sure what these forms are.

Does this mean this is the assesment that will tell me if I do or do not have aspergers ? Or will I need to go for more assessments after this?

Thank you 

Parents
  • Greetings "Nadielou"... Things change slightly year after year, and I Myself gained the diagnosis in 2013. But there are some constants and things I can advise, as I see this.

If You can, bring someone else along, to Your main assessment, someone who 'knew you as a child' (usually a relative). Or also bring some documents from your childhood/school which support your own reasons towards Autism/Aspergers.

Also collate your own reasons for suspecting Autism/Aspergers, such as, I hate to put it this way, but "unusual" things which You know You do or do not like to do. Looking at a book about it, or reading online features, and then state any which apply to you. EG. For Myself, it was "No friends and always walking upon tiptoes" (!). Unfortunately "being bullied at school"/"not fitting inat school", is also a common thing stated with diagnosis.

Finally, if you know what "Masking" is...? Then do NOT do this during assessment, just be Yourself. It may be seen as "rude", but this is also a thing about Autism/Aspergers. Also, if You are nervous or uncertain or confused, then SAY SO at the Assessor(s).

Finally again... but this is not always possible... try to obtain proof of the whole interview, and they might give you a summary of what was diagnosed right there and then. This is as happened to Myself and so I write all of that. Good Luck.

• Hello, 

Thank you for replying. I haven't been asked in the letter to bring someone along, but should i anyway ? 

I think the masking for me is going to be very hard to not do , I've become quite an expert at it. 

I will have to have a think about unusual sual things as im not sure about this. 

Thank you for your help. 

Should.i be concerned its nhs based as alot of people seem.to have had problems. And also veing a woman i know I won't show the usual signs. 

• Thanks for replying, but as long-term Users of this Forum may know... I get nervous at "direct chit chat"! I was online and this Thread happened...

I usually say, there should be others posting after Myself, who can also give experience and answers as well. I only just recall now, that I usually post a NAS Link, and I will try to do so after this post...

YES if You can, bring a 'supporter' with You. Autistic traits may be trawled through WebSearches. But with regards to masking, I do recommend not doing it -- alas, being blunt, rude, akward, weird, different...what society calls these things... is part of the Autism definition... but with regards to Myself, as far as I know, I have never done "masking" since it always fails for Me (hence the Cynosure part of My Username). Good Luck again (!).

• Here is a link (they sure keep changing where to find these things a lot!):

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis.aspx

This links to other links and then more links... such as:

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx

...as they say ..."Hope this helps!"...

Reply Children
No Data