Smells that give you a headache

Anyone else get this? Is it more prevalent in ASD than non-ASD?

I have a particular problem with those plug-in room scent things that have three alternating smells, and some of the oil-based things that are glass jars with wooden diffuser sticks. One of the smells smells very "volatile" to me, a bit like vick / ethanol / acetone (how do you describe an un-natural smell in words???) and it gives me an almost instant headache behind the eyes / nose.

As an aside, I find that discarded orange-peel quickly stops smelling of oranges and within minutes starts to smell like a full & stale cigarette ashtray? Weird!

Parents
  • Is it more prevalent in ASD than non-ASD?

Greetings. I often say this at certain Threads... but sensitivity to certain smells is little to do with Autism. It is used as part of the diagnosis sometimes, because it is as if there are more Autistic persons paying an attention to Olfaction than there are Non-Autistic persons. There are plenty of Non-ASD people who have great senses of smell. And an extreme reaction such as a headache is in my opinion a warning that that particular Scent contains a Chemical which Oneself should profit in life by very much avoiding.

...That is my Waffling, anyway... (!) I do not have this problem so much, because I have the more direct/blatant  'Warning Mechanism' called Asthma..: i.e. - Rather than just getting a headache, I simply am unable to take another breath at all. There can be no more direct a message than that! 

(Good Fortune to You anyway!)

• Is it more prevalent in ASD than non-ASD?

Greetings. I often say this at certain Threads... but sensitivity to certain smells is little to do with Autism. It is used as part of the diagnosis sometimes, because it is as if there are more Autistic persons paying an attention to Olfaction than there are Non-Autistic persons. There are plenty of Non-ASD people who have great senses of smell. And an extreme reaction such as a headache is in my opinion a warning that that particular Scent contains a Chemical which Oneself should profit in life by very much avoiding.

...That is my Waffling, anyway... (!) I do not have this problem so much, because I have the more direct/blatant  'Warning Mechanism' called Asthma..: i.e. - Rather than just getting a headache, I simply am unable to take another breath at all. There can be no more direct a message than that! 

(Good Fortune to You anyway!)

Children
No Data