Smells that give you a headache

Anyone else get this? Is it more prevalent in ASD than non-ASD?

I have a particular problem with those plug-in room scent things that have three alternating smells, and some of the oil-based things that are glass jars with wooden diffuser sticks. One of the smells smells very "volatile" to me, a bit like vick / ethanol / acetone (how do you describe an un-natural smell in words???) and it gives me an almost instant headache behind the eyes / nose.

As an aside, I find that discarded orange-peel quickly stops smelling of oranges and within minutes starts to smell like a full & stale cigarette ashtray? Weird!

Parents
  • Morning I'm done with Christmas Cards

For me..it is aerosol deodorants.  I work as a teacher so have to remind students if they arrive to class, sweaty from a PE lesson to pop out to the corridor and spray --- i can handle the smell of sweat but the aerosol fumes go right to the back of my mouth and will give me a migraine // bad headache

everything else is fine and I have a pretty rubbish sense of smell (see above - from resilience teaching sweaty teenagers and diminished nasal capacities as a filthy smoker) - I do great smoke rings with my trunk!

• Morning I'm done with Christmas Cards

For me..it is aerosol deodorants.  I work as a teacher so have to remind students if they arrive to class, sweaty from a PE lesson to pop out to the corridor and spray --- i can handle the smell of sweat but the aerosol fumes go right to the back of my mouth and will give me a migraine // bad headache

everything else is fine and I have a pretty rubbish sense of smell (see above - from resilience teaching sweaty teenagers and diminished nasal capacities as a filthy smoker) - I do great smoke rings with my trunk!

Children
No Data