This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Grandma living in nursing home

My father went to visit my 96-year-old grandmother in the nursing home today. She was found slumped over the wheelchair. She was drooling, clammy and unresponsive. The nursing staff were irresponsible and told that this has happened before. But, they have never informed us. After a checkup, it was confirmed that her blood pressure has reduced. The only medication she is on is Aricept.

We are planning to move her to another nursing home. Our current situation doesn't permit her to stay with us. We have heard of a nursing home in Toronto. It is said that they have got good facilities, [link removed]

Aside from her age, what would cause her to lose consciousness like this?

• Sorry to hear about your problems with your gran.  Lots of things might have caused it.  Low blood sugar could lead to a hypo, for instance. Have you come to the right forum, though? This is for people with autistic spectrum condition and their families.  Is your grandmother autistic?

You should really be talking to her doctor or someone else with medical training. 

Why have you included a hyperlink to a nurse call system?  This might make people suspect the post is spam.

• Hi, many things can cause her to lose consciousness

Seizures, lack of oxygen, blood pressure dropping, anemia, stroke, heart attack and these are just a few I am not a doctor and I don't know your grandmother so it's impossible to say. 

But it is disgraceful that she was left like that and that you had not been notified of previous episode, is there someone to complain to? I don't know anything really about care homes for elderly apart from alot of them are awful. 

I'm sorry you are going through this and wish I could give more advice