I hate the term "neurotypical "

I've always had a lesion in my brain and I've had epilepsy for as long as I can remember, so I was pretty neuro atypical long before I got this autism diagnosis as an adult just one or two years ago. I don't think you can say that someone you never met and know nothing about is "neurotypical" It's just a complete assumption and it's rude. 

Parents
  • I agree that we shouldn't assume things about others when we don't know that person. I had a late diagnosis at 33 so know first hand what it feels like when people make the wrong assumptions about the way a mind works.

Ash, I have a strong dislike for the term Aspergers too and have only ever referred to myself as autistic. 

• I agree that we shouldn't assume things about others when we don't know that person. I had a late diagnosis at 33 so know first hand what it feels like when people make the wrong assumptions about the way a mind works.

Ash, I have a strong dislike for the term Aspergers too and have only ever referred to myself as autistic. 

Children
  • Neurodiverse:

displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behaviour; not neurotypical.

Neurotypical:

not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behaviour; not neurodiverse.

Epilepsy does not automatically imply neurodiversity.  Epilepsy can affect neurodiverse people and neurotypical people alike - as can cancer, diabetes, IBS and the common cold.

I think this whole argument is a waste of time.  It is predicated on one person's feeling that 'neurotypical' is an offensive term, similar to calling someone a 'n*****'.  That, to me, is taking the whole thing way out of context - akin to saying that 'neurodiverse' is synonymous with 'spastic'.

If you find the term 'neurotypical' offensive, then don't use it.  It's as simple as that.