I hate the term "neurotypical "

I've always had a lesion in my brain and I've had epilepsy for as long as I can remember, so I was pretty neuro atypical long before I got this autism diagnosis as an adult just one or two years ago. I don't think you can say that someone you never met and know nothing about is "neurotypical" It's just a complete assumption and it's rude. 

Parents
  • OK, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it is a rude comment, others don't. 

In reply to Tom's comment that anyone who is called "neurotypical" is not autistic, please read my first comment again. An epileptic brain with a lesion cannot be said to be typical. 

• I have read it, several times.  I work with people who have epilepsy - but who aren't autistic.  Just as I work with people who have epilepsy and are autistic.  It's about the way the brain perceives, processes and responds to sensory information.  Epilepsy in itself doesn't mean neurodiverse.

Dyslexia, ADHD, dyscalculia.... these are all conditions which autistic people may have.  They are also conditions that non-autistic people may have. 

Perhaps this can explain it better than I can:

What does it mean to be neurotypical?

• I have read it, several times.  I work with people who have epilepsy - but who aren't autistic.  Just as I work with people who have epilepsy and are autistic.  It's about the way the brain perceives, processes and responds to sensory information.  Epilepsy in itself doesn't mean neurodiverse.

Dyslexia, ADHD, dyscalculia.... these are all conditions which autistic people may have.  They are also conditions that non-autistic people may have. 

Perhaps this can explain it better than I can:

What does it mean to be neurotypical?

Children