Wait time to hear something after GP referral

Hi all, does anyone know roughly how long it might take from when my GP referred me to when I hear something? Am I correct in assuming that there should be some kind of letter acknowledging the referral at some point? I know I'm probably being a bit impatient seeing as according to the receptionist at the GP surgery my referral was sent on the 18th of Jan but I have others (Shaw Trust - I've been on the Work and Health Programme since March 2018 and the ASD penny only dropped for me in November after struggling all year) that are encouraging me to keep chasing up at my GP where I am and I really don't want to make a nuisance of myself. I was hoping people might share how long they had to wait as an adult before they had some kind of initial confirmation after their GP had sent their referral as I'm finding this being in limbo stage quite difficult.

Thanks for reading

Parents
  • A lot may depend upon your age-the younger you are, the sooner you will be see, I had to wait around 13-14 months but I am 60 so it did not come as a surprise. there is a lot you can do to stave off any anxiety or satisfy your burning curiosity, I spent a lot of time on these forums reading what others had to say about their lives and it definitely helped me by revealing to me that the way I am is not simply a type of weirdness and chaos peculiar to myself alone but others out there-lots-who have very similar experiences and difficulties.

If your Doctor referred you for an assessment I believe that it is fair to say that he is probably of the opinion that you are indeed on the Spectrum-the NHS is cash-strapped and they would not have risked wasting their finite and precious resources merely to satisfy your curiosity.

You just have to be patient, it would not be unreasonable to ask about progress if 4-6 months have elapsed since your referral-you may still have to wait a long time but believe me, it is worth it.

• A lot may depend upon your age-the younger you are, the sooner you will be see, I had to wait around 13-14 months but I am 60 so it did not come as a surprise. there is a lot you can do to stave off any anxiety or satisfy your burning curiosity, I spent a lot of time on these forums reading what others had to say about their lives and it definitely helped me by revealing to me that the way I am is not simply a type of weirdness and chaos peculiar to myself alone but others out there-lots-who have very similar experiences and difficulties.

If your Doctor referred you for an assessment I believe that it is fair to say that he is probably of the opinion that you are indeed on the Spectrum-the NHS is cash-strapped and they would not have risked wasting their finite and precious resources merely to satisfy your curiosity.

You just have to be patient, it would not be unreasonable to ask about progress if 4-6 months have elapsed since your referral-you may still have to wait a long time but believe me, it is worth it.

Children
No Data