Assessment appointment

Some may remember me posting just before Christmas regarding my first referral for an Aspergers assessment being refused and having to go back to my GP to request a re-referral. Following the advice I was given here, I downloaded some questionnaires and my GP sent them off with another request for an appointment.  I have finally got an appointment which the letter says will be for about an hour.  What will this appointment be for? It won't be for a full assessment as I understand these last for several hours so can anyone advise what is likely to happen here? Thanks again folks xx

Parents
  • Yes, I think they do an initial screening appointment. 

For me using the NHS this was with the Access Team and only after this was I referred to the Autism Team.  They were very happy to refer me once I'd explained my reasons though.  I just had to give a few examples of my issues and talk them through a little.  It actually seemed to last about 45 minutes, not the full hour.

For my older son there was a screening appointment at the Tuke Centre, which involved handing in some questionnaires plus working through a developmental history together in order to decide whether it would be worthwhile going on to the full assessment.  It all basically worked (very gently!) from the question, "Why do you think an autism diagnosis would be useful for you?" This lasted about an hour and a half, although it was private as I didn't want my son to have to wait for as long as I did.

• Yes, I think they do an initial screening appointment. 

For me using the NHS this was with the Access Team and only after this was I referred to the Autism Team.  They were very happy to refer me once I'd explained my reasons though.  I just had to give a few examples of my issues and talk them through a little.  It actually seemed to last about 45 minutes, not the full hour.

For my older son there was a screening appointment at the Tuke Centre, which involved handing in some questionnaires plus working through a developmental history together in order to decide whether it would be worthwhile going on to the full assessment.  It all basically worked (very gently!) from the question, "Why do you think an autism diagnosis would be useful for you?" This lasted about an hour and a half, although it was private as I didn't want my son to have to wait for as long as I did.

Children
No Data