GP “referral”

Hi, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but based on reading on this website and the NHS as well as speaking to friends and family about me as a person, I think I have a form of ASD.

I went to my GP about this who referred me to my local mental health (IAPT) service to treat me for anxiety with my routine. I’ve been to a couple of sessions with these and explained I get anxious and panic when I can’t follow my routine or it gets moved around (if I can’t get to work/park in the same place)...to which the therapist said today that “having a routine so ridged doesn’t help your anxiety so we need to work on that”... honestly I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to do...do I go back to my GP?

Any thoughts welcome 

Parents
  • I was referred to IAPT too. 

After a couple of sessions the lady (wellbeing practitioner) referred me to group therapy because we couldn’t understand each other at all (she kept suggesting what my feelings and thoughts were and I kept telling her that it wasn’t what I felt/thought). 

After group therapy finished I asked facilitator what next and he referred me back to one to one sessions. 

After few of those sessions it was suggested that I should try different talking therapy (counselling instead of CBT) and I was given list of local mental charities to contact. 

So I started counselling and the lady suggested to go back to GP. I went and even through I asked to be assessed for ASD I was referred beck to IAPT. 

I went there (for my first session) really angry and told them it wasn’t what I asked for. So they agreed that I shouldn’t been referred to them and they wrote a referral for ASD assessment (I guess through my GP) 

And after then all I got to do was wait for 2 years without any further support.

So yes, I would suggest going back to your GP.

• I was referred to IAPT too. 

After a couple of sessions the lady (wellbeing practitioner) referred me to group therapy because we couldn’t understand each other at all (she kept suggesting what my feelings and thoughts were and I kept telling her that it wasn’t what I felt/thought). 

After group therapy finished I asked facilitator what next and he referred me back to one to one sessions. 

After few of those sessions it was suggested that I should try different talking therapy (counselling instead of CBT) and I was given list of local mental charities to contact. 

So I started counselling and the lady suggested to go back to GP. I went and even through I asked to be assessed for ASD I was referred beck to IAPT. 

I went there (for my first session) really angry and told them it wasn’t what I asked for. So they agreed that I shouldn’t been referred to them and they wrote a referral for ASD assessment (I guess through my GP) 

And after then all I got to do was wait for 2 years without any further support.

So yes, I would suggest going back to your GP.

Children
No Data