Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi yes thank you,

we have been reunited for almost a year now and social services have admitted that I am a good Mother. We are now persuing a claim for Violation of human rights against social services.

I really believe that what happened to me and my daughter is happening to many parents as the current system is very discriminatory against parents who have disabilities and or impairments it needs to change.