Finding employment

So, 2019 really does need to be the year I get a job, for the sake of family finances. My husband's approach to "helping" me is to just tell me to "apply for something close to home that you know you can do".

I haven't worked for about 14 years after being signed off sick from my first full time job after just 3 months there and then I got married and we decided to start a family as my job hunting post sign-off was not working out due to my recent medical history. I was initially diagnosed with CFS when first signed off and had nearly 3 years off work while recovering before job hunting again.
I have been involved in long term voluntary roles for most of the last 13 years though so I hope that will count for something.

I was finally given my formal ASC Aspergers diagnosis on the 7th Dec. But I am now unsure how to proceed in terms of finding a job that will take my needs into account. I can see how autism has shaped all my previous education, work and general life experiences and I am very aware of the adjustments i will need to be able to work at my best and without burning out.

Does anyone relate to my current feeling that if I start job hunting at the moment and find something that might work out I still very unsupported by my husband and those around me. I feel like I will be stepping off a building to do an abseil (applying for a job and hopefully getting through an interview) but I don't know if the harness and rope (my husband and family and friends that I am asking for help and support from) is even going to be any use and I may just end up plummeting to the ground (I will get a job offer but end up rejected or get a job but end up burning out due to those around me not appreciating just how much help and support I need.).
I already feel bad that I seem to need more support and assurance from others than they seem to think I need...and so I inconvenience them or get in the way of the things that want to get on with.
I am feeling so lost about it all and can't seem to make myself understood.

Parents
  • Hi Beaky

Do you know what jobs you like to do?

With your CFS diagnosis, do you know your own endurance and how much energy you can devote to work while dealing with 3 kids?

Do you live in an area with a surplus of jobs so you can be choosy or do you have to grab at the first offer?

Is it worth doing a couple of quick college courses to give you some more marketable skills in your area of interest?

• Hi Beaky

Do you know what jobs you like to do?

With your CFS diagnosis, do you know your own endurance and how much energy you can devote to work while dealing with 3 kids?

Do you live in an area with a surplus of jobs so you can be choosy or do you have to grab at the first offer?

Is it worth doing a couple of quick college courses to give you some more marketable skills in your area of interest?

Children
No Data