Wondering whether I am autistic.

Hello.

I'm new here.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched a series of videos on the YouTube channel invisible i, which then led to me reading several books about women with autism.

This was an enlightening experience. In so many ways, it was like hearing my own thoughts, expressed through speech and in writing - yet they belonged to someone else. I felt understood - finally - because my experiences and anxieties were not just my own. Someone else felt similarly.

I started to reflect on my own childhood, my teenage years and my current difficulties and suspect that I may have aspergers, though I know this term is now outdated. I struggle to make friends because I feel completely out of place wherever I go, I can take things somewhat literally, I need down time away from people, I do suffer from sensory issues, I stim (I think), I love fantasy (I read that girls with autism often do) and I hate eye contact. These are just a small selection of the traits which could point to autism.

I have asked colleagues and close friends whether they feel this is a possibility and some have told me they've suspected it in the past. Others did not suspect it, but have listened to my thoughts about it and agree there is a strong possibility. 

To make sense of it all, I have started a blog and would really appreciate some feedback on my thoughts to try and make sense of it all. Part of me is reluctant to get a diagnosis as I fear this limiting me in the future (I've heard some companies and countries are quite prejudiced about it!)

wordpress.com/.../amiautistic.home.blog

Parents
  • Hi i am in the same boat as you but my thoughts and research about it have been going on for over 2 years. I think this is typical of me in that i have to weigh absolutely everything up before i start to go through with anything. 

When ive approached people i know about it they have said no way but i think its cos they have a stereotypical view of what AS should be. My main point to them has been that if you dont feel.different you dont go searching on the internet as to what you think is "wrong" with you. Something must trigger it off. 

I am in 2 minds as to seek an assessment or not. Altho ive had stress and anxiety ive got this far without knowing about it.i feel i would end up limiting myself.

Im.content at the moment with self-recognition and my research as helped me put coping strategies in place.

I click on your link and wordpress loads up but no blog. Maybe its just my technology though.

• Hi i am in the same boat as you but my thoughts and research about it have been going on for over 2 years. I think this is typical of me in that i have to weigh absolutely everything up before i start to go through with anything. 

When ive approached people i know about it they have said no way but i think its cos they have a stereotypical view of what AS should be. My main point to them has been that if you dont feel.different you dont go searching on the internet as to what you think is "wrong" with you. Something must trigger it off. 

I am in 2 minds as to seek an assessment or not. Altho ive had stress and anxiety ive got this far without knowing about it.i feel i would end up limiting myself.

Im.content at the moment with self-recognition and my research as helped me put coping strategies in place.

I click on your link and wordpress loads up but no blog. Maybe its just my technology though.

Children
No Data