Tolerance to Pain

I have been diagnosed as autistic/Aspergers

I don't seem to feel pain the same as most people. I am a beekeeper and regularly get stung and although I does hurt it doesn't seem to bother me. I once got stung over 100 times at once. I also cycle competitively and have suffered various injuries whilst racing including broken ribs where I have carried on regardless

When I was a kid I was always falling into stinging nettles or getting scratched on barbed wire

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

Are these autistic traits? when I had my diagnosis my assessor didn't think so but I'm not so sure

Parents
  • I'd agree with Binary and NAS36609. Common traits.

I've broken hands, blew out knees, broke an ankle, and had a fractured orbital. Loads of other stuff too, a lot.  Didn't know at the time unless there were complications for a while following. The ironic thing is a scratchy label in clothing can feel agonising, and hot weather too. Sensory stuff is pretty odd in autism.

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I'm similar with food. I like peppery, hot food, and very sour food. A jar of pickled chilli is pretty alluring. I think that sometimes, speaking for myself at least, I tend to seek out things I can actually sense. I sniff vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, the smell makes my tongue and spit glands hurt. I don't feel cold much either, but I hold ice until my hands have a dull throb to stim. I'm not a masochist, I just find it a distraction. ***, that sounds weird, but yeah!

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

You do have hypersensitivity to pain, but some things that may appear like pain can be psychological aversions. Touching, certain textures, and temperatures can trigger aversions. Some things can become compulsions also when a sense can be comforting or stimulating. You sound like exercise is a place you find sensory comfort and stimulation, that might be because of hyposensitivity. I don't know, but maybe.

• I'd agree with Binary and NAS36609. Common traits.

I've broken hands, blew out knees, broke an ankle, and had a fractured orbital. Loads of other stuff too, a lot.  Didn't know at the time unless there were complications for a while following. The ironic thing is a scratchy label in clothing can feel agonising, and hot weather too. Sensory stuff is pretty odd in autism.

I'm similar with food. I like peppery, hot food, and very sour food. A jar of pickled chilli is pretty alluring. I think that sometimes, speaking for myself at least, I tend to seek out things I can actually sense. I sniff vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, the smell makes my tongue and spit glands hurt. I don't feel cold much either, but I hold ice until my hands have a dull throb to stim. I'm not a masochist, I just find it a distraction. ***, that sounds weird, but yeah!

You do have hypersensitivity to pain, but some things that may appear like pain can be psychological aversions. Touching, certain textures, and temperatures can trigger aversions. Some things can become compulsions also when a sense can be comforting or stimulating. You sound like exercise is a place you find sensory comfort and stimulation, that might be because of hyposensitivity. I don't know, but maybe.

Children
No Data