Job Interviews

Hi, just wonder if anyone had any experience with reasonable adjustments for interviews.

I am currently employed and seeking promotion, there are a 4 phases to it, and I an exam which I have passed, no issues. Once passed a paper application followed by two interviews. I have struggled for some time with the post exam aspects.

Recently I submitted a paper application, I struggle with written work, I find writing creatively and addressing audience awareness challenging, I read very slowly and have poor handwriting. I attempted to discuss adjustments with my employers HR department at all stages with little success in fact they down right ignored me. A colleague with knowledge of ASD discussed on my behalf and made several requests but no one ever spoke with me. I failed the paper process and appealed via email, I was ignored again for 3 weeks, my email was not even responded to, whilst the process continued I assumed I was out.

On Wednesday evening, I revived an email stating my appeal was successful and I had an interview on Friday (today) morning at 9am and adjustments would be made, interviews which all other NT candidates had two weeks prep for.

Despite me having given full disclosure of my condition to my employer including how light affects me, I arrived at my interview this morning to find the only adjustment made was an extra 5 minutes. I was sat in a brightly lit waiting area for 20 minutes then sat in a room about 6x6 under a fluorescent light in front of 2 interviewers. I had requested extra time, An ASD friendly environment, a panel or observer with ASD awareness and pre sighting of the environment. I only got the extra time. Even post interview they have still yet to e gage personally with me about the requirements of my condition or to discuss adjustments. 

Unsurprisingly it went badly I completely shut down was unable to communicate effectively and had a melt down shortly after the interview. I was handed a how were you treated sheet afterwards, I declined to complete it voicing my concern with the invigilator. 

I work for a high profile employer who purport to be equal ops. 

I pass for NT with a lot of effort, my immediate supervisor is aware of my ASD but has no idea what it is, recently disclosing it in a couple of on confidential document about me. I am the only one in my role with ASD in the environment and I now feel really unsupported and let down as it would appear as opposed to speak to me and learn I have been shuved into a metaphorical corner. 

What are peoples thoughts on any redress I may have around the job application process?