I don't know what to do...

I am 29, and am deaf and female. 

I recently went to my gp, as my control over my emotions is not working. I have always been "over sensitive" but it has gotten worse as I became an adult and living with my partner.

I was referred to the Mental health team, and during there assessment I was asked if I have ever been tested for autism. I said no. 

I went back to my gp and all I have got is a referral for therapy, no further detail. I asked about being tested and she said wait till you have had the sessions.

This was all on the 12th October 2018.

And also the gp is asking if I am reading to much into my deafness but I have a younger sibling who is deaf but does not display these traits. 

I am lost, it feels like forever, my symtoms are worsening and I am getting worried. It feels like no one believes me, my dad has agreed that there are traits but the rest of my family are saying I am doing this for attention.

My boyfriend is on the verge of leaving me because I can't explain to him what is going on, he thinks I am hiding things on purpose.

Any advice would be great.

Parents
  • Hi Dismal Daze,

I'd recommend going back to your GP and asking to be referred for an autism assessment. I don't see that it's your GPs choice to make you wait for one avenue before trying you on another. Be firm and ask for the referral. All your GP has to do is refer you in to the local Autism provisioning process, they don't need to do anything else themselves, so they really have nothing to lose by sending you to the professional autism people. Let them decide if you have it or not, your GPs only involvement is to make the initial referral and then view the results when it's all done.

It might help if you go with a list of why you think you might have it, focusing on the social difficulties you have, and follow up with autistic traits you and others see in you. Also, mention that the Mental Health team asked you about it, as they probably noticed something about you that prompted them to ask.

When I went to my GP, she didn't really know what autism was, so I just handed her a report I'd written on myself, and told her to make the referral. She just said "okay" and did it. Just be firm that you want to go for assessment.

Hope that helps.

• Hi Dismal Daze,

I'd recommend going back to your GP and asking to be referred for an autism assessment. I don't see that it's your GPs choice to make you wait for one avenue before trying you on another. Be firm and ask for the referral. All your GP has to do is refer you in to the local Autism provisioning process, they don't need to do anything else themselves, so they really have nothing to lose by sending you to the professional autism people. Let them decide if you have it or not, your GPs only involvement is to make the initial referral and then view the results when it's all done.

It might help if you go with a list of why you think you might have it, focusing on the social difficulties you have, and follow up with autistic traits you and others see in you. Also, mention that the Mental Health team asked you about it, as they probably noticed something about you that prompted them to ask.

When I went to my GP, she didn't really know what autism was, so I just handed her a report I'd written on myself, and told her to make the referral. She just said "okay" and did it. Just be firm that you want to go for assessment.

Hope that helps.

Children
No Data