Diagnostic assessment

Hi, I am a woman in my 30’s. I have 5 kids and a full time job and am set to go for my ASD assessment next week.  I am really nervous.  I have hid things my whole life, my crazy ruminating, bizarre thought processes, constant criticism of myself.  At this point I am hoping the assessor will be able to see beyond my mask and help me.  

I have been asked to bring with me my school reports which arent remarkable.  I was a good student, pleasant, so nothing to really see there.  

I have read up on the difference in girls with ASD and am really hoping that the diagnosticians are prepared for that type of presentation for I definitely don’t scream out that I have ASD. Well according to my family and friends yes I am quirky and they wouldn’t be surprised if I get a diagnosis, but others who don’t know me well just see me as normal.  Is there anything I need to know before I go or has anyone any idea what I should expect? G

Parents Reply Children
  • If there was no need for a diagnosis, why would anyone seek one.  As with any condition there are characteristically things people will struggle with.  I’m not an expert on autism so I don’t know how others cope with the things I struggle with therefore I sought a diagnosis to see if there is a more helpful way than the way I muddle through if it is autism I have.  That’s it in a nut shell really.  Can I ask why this post interested you?