Diagnostic assessment

Hi, I am a woman in my 30’s. I have 5 kids and a full time job and am set to go for my ASD assessment next week.  I am really nervous.  I have hid things my whole life, my crazy ruminating, bizarre thought processes, constant criticism of myself.  At this point I am hoping the assessor will be able to see beyond my mask and help me.  

I have been asked to bring with me my school reports which arent remarkable.  I was a good student, pleasant, so nothing to really see there.  

I have read up on the difference in girls with ASD and am really hoping that the diagnosticians are prepared for that type of presentation for I definitely don’t scream out that I have ASD. Well according to my family and friends yes I am quirky and they wouldn’t be surprised if I get a diagnosis, but others who don’t know me well just see me as normal.  Is there anything I need to know before I go or has anyone any idea what I should expect? G

Parents
  • Try not to worry - ASD assessors are very good at seeing behind masks and the assessment itself is designed to facilitate that. It is hard to say what to expect as there are many different ways of doing an assessment.

I am a woman in my late 50's, diagnosed with ASD nearly 4 weeks ago. The psychologists who assessed me gave me a description of the stages they would work through and specified one of the tests they would use (ADOS-2). There are other ASD assessment tools like CLASS and DISCO.

You can always ask what format your assessment will follow. I supplied written notes about my infancy, childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. That wasn't requested by the assessor but it made me feel better. I wasn't sure what my parents and siblings had said as I asked them to send their questionnaires straight back to the psychologist.

My school reports were all very positive - I was no trouble at all at school, and to my mother it seemed that I had a perfectly normal infancy and early childhood. Having said that I am sure my mum is autistic too, so she might not have picked up on ASD characteristics in me.

I am sure everything will go fine. I worried hugely about the different stages of my assessment and had several sleepless nights beforehand. In some ways the type of assessment where everything happens in one half or whole day might be less stressful. The incremental approach used in my assessment did give me time to adjust and add in additional information though. There are advantages either way.

The process can be quite exhausting so try and build in some 'me' time if that is possible with 5 children and a full time job. The biggest benefit to me post diagnosis has been understanding why I get so tired and how to use energy accounting to protect myself from meltdowns and burnout. I am using a workbook at the moment called Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie Gaus which is really helpful too.

Very best wishes to you.

• I have already sent in some assessments they sent me out.  Not sure if they used that as a screening tool before offering me a face to face assessment.

• Yes, that is what usually happens either through completing tests or an initial exploratory meeting. You can be reassured that if they had not seen signs of ASD they would not be doing a full assessment. From some statistics I saw it seems that virtually all negative assessments of adults are at the initial screening stage. 

• Hi Sunflower do you remember where you saw those statistics? I'd love to see them..........

• That’s good to know going in.  I’m nervous but excited too I think. Just want answers at this stage.  Thanks for your help.

Reply Children
No Data