My gut instinct tells me am autistic but still self doubting, am confused.

I am confused.com

I think I maybe on the autistic spectrum, I have an appointment booked with the GP this Friday to ask for a referral but originally, I had made the appointment as I was struggling with depression and then a friend suggested it might be high functioning autism.

I did my reading on this forum, and other places including watching videos on YouTube by women on the spectrum it sounded just like me like I could have been giving that talk, but now am anxious and confused what if the GP does not believe me and what if they do but I am barking up the wrong tree and don’t get a diagnosis.

I did do the autism quiz online and I got 38 out of 50 and the empathy one and got 24 out of 80

Does this sound like autism?

• I had speech development issues and was in speech therapy up to the age of 8/9 and recently I have been struggling again like I mispronounce words but in my head  they are okay but on my tongue they come out weird.
  • I have been in and out of employment have taken on temporary employment positions with gaps of months in between but this past year I have worked pretty much the whole time until recently I was just felt like my brain just did not want to function so I quit.
  • During the periods when I was in full-time employment positions, I consistently felt overwhelmed and would come home physically and mentally drained and have to sleep it off on most days it was particular worse last year when I started getting palpitations so went into both the hospital and the GP but physically nothing was found.
  • I been dealing with anxiety all my life except I didn’t quite know that’s what it was, it’s like the most random things make me anxious- like when u get lights that change colour and most situations that involve social interactions i.e. making phone calls
  • I become obsessed in one thing, that I don’t even hear someone talking to me, but if I am distracted from it then I find it really difficult to refocus and then that causes anxiety which leads to procrastination. At same time I can zone out sometimes even during a conversation
  • If I start something I have to finish and cant do anything else until I do, that includes watching a movie, reading a book, colouring or even household chores like cleaning of washing. If I leave it causes me anxiety or is constantly on my mind
  • I cannot multi-task at all
  • I have to have a to do list for like everything or things will not get done if not on their
  • I see everything in black and white and it is said about me I takes things too literally-which has caused problems in my relationships.
  • I basically just don’t have a great handle on life- I don't think I ever had it but really feel like up to now I had coping mechanisms but now they all kind of fell apart because of the depression

would appreciate any feedback does this sound familar

Parents
  • Hi there

Something that I and many others on here have found useful is to write down the reasons why you think you are autistic, and take that with you to your appointment for your GP to read. That way if you get overwhelmed when you are there and struggle to express yourself, you can hand over your mini-biography and ask the GP to read it. Also it will be in your own "voice" so not affected by any masking or you trying to present yourself in a certain way to him/her.

Good luck for your appointment, I hope you are able to get some answers

• Hi there

Something that I and many others on here have found useful is to write down the reasons why you think you are autistic, and take that with you to your appointment for your GP to read. That way if you get overwhelmed when you are there and struggle to express yourself, you can hand over your mini-biography and ask the GP to read it. Also it will be in your own "voice" so not affected by any masking or you trying to present yourself in a certain way to him/her.

Good luck for your appointment, I hope you are able to get some answers

Children
No Data