When High Functioning means that there’s an expectation to be beyond human

This is not me having a whinge. But does anyone on the forum had or have to deal with the expectation that as they are good at what they do they feel that there is a continued and increasing need to do and provide more and more to suit others.

I sometimes feel that I have just become a high functioning machine rather than human and that the challenging aspects of autism (where I am low functioning) are negated or ignored.

Parents
  • To me, high functioning means that although you're autistic, you can function and pass yourself of as a normal ( whatever normal means?????) person most of the time.

To many people  autism is linked with low IQ, learning disabilities, epilepsy, downs syndrome, Cerebral Palsy   , looking disabled, bizzare behaviour, and. .....

High functioning means you don't display these classic features.

• I'm high functioning - very high IQ, very successful - but under certain conditions, I'm REALLY unable to function.

If I were to be measured in those situations, I would appear low functioning.

Reply Children
  • I'm the same.  I wouldn't say I was successful (depending on the criteria), but I'm good at what I do.  Very good.  Many colleagues have told me I'm one of the best carers there, because I do the job properly.  But in another situation, such as I was faced with on Thursday, I go to pieces and am a fumbling wreck.  Anyone who looked at me now would see that, too.  I'm a fumbling wreck.  I'm shaking as I write this.  Brought to my knees by what many would regard as trivial nonsense, and the product of a vivid imagination and a paranoia complex.