Autism friendly hairdressers in London

Hi all,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question! I am trying to find an autism friendly hairdresser for my brother, who is 29 and non-verbal. He has been going to the same hairdresser for many years, but now that he is an adult and big and loud, they are getting impatient with him. I've been searching online and have found some good resources for children but nothing for adults. If there is anyone who has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Many thanks!

Parents
  • Have you considered a mobile hairdresser? You may get better results in his own home. He should certainly be more relaxed. The hairdresser will be more relaxed too as there would be no one watching. 

It worked for our son, where copious bribery allowed us to normalise a hair cut. 

• Hi, thanks a lot for your reply! That sounds like a great idea but I have no idea how to find a mobile hairdresser. Did you just find them on Google or are there any who are actually autism/disability friendly?

• I live in a village in Bucks. Ours used to work in a salon which my wife used, and when she was leaving she let her regulars know.

Have you got a local Facebook group? Getting recommendations is probably better than a yellow pages pot luck. Asking for a mobile hairdresser in there should at least get you some phone numbers. You can then talk to them - and you'll get a feel for how flexible they are. If they have any sense, they'll leap at the chance. What business does not want repeat custom actively averse to change and moving elsewhere?

• I live in a village in Bucks. Ours used to work in a salon which my wife used, and when she was leaving she let her regulars know.

Have you got a local Facebook group? Getting recommendations is probably better than a yellow pages pot luck. Asking for a mobile hairdresser in there should at least get you some phone numbers. You can then talk to them - and you'll get a feel for how flexible they are. If they have any sense, they'll leap at the chance. What business does not want repeat custom actively averse to change and moving elsewhere?

Children