Autism assessment in January- I'm terrified. What do I expect?

Hi all, 

I've recently joined the community and I'm seeking some advice, I'm 26 years old and have always been fairly certain (along with my family and my GP) that I'm autistic. I finally decided to seek a diagnosis as I want to try to find out why I am the way I am and hopefully come to some form of acceptance and find some coping mechanisms. After a year long battle, I finally have my autism assessment at the beginning of January and I'm really nervous. 

My mum is coming with me in order to tell the assessor what I was like as a child and any other bits I'll probably be too nervous to remember at the time! 

I just wanted to know, has anyone else had a diagnosis as an adult? What is the initial appointment like? Will I have to go back a few times? And just generally what to expect.

Anything you can tell me would definitely help to calm my nerves so thank you in advance!

Parents
  • Mine was a single 4hr appt, verbal diagnosis at the end. A few questionnaires sent in the post beforehand. I hate talking about myself, but was surprised how well it went, she made it really "easy" I guess as she was clearly well trained in dealing with inexpressive people!

• Mine was a single 4hr appt, verbal diagnosis at the end. A few questionnaires sent in the post beforehand. I hate talking about myself, but was surprised how well it went, she made it really "easy" I guess as she was clearly well trained in dealing with inexpressive people!

Children