Autism assessment in January- I'm terrified. What do I expect?

Hi all, 

I've recently joined the community and I'm seeking some advice, I'm 26 years old and have always been fairly certain (along with my family and my GP) that I'm autistic. I finally decided to seek a diagnosis as I want to try to find out why I am the way I am and hopefully come to some form of acceptance and find some coping mechanisms. After a year long battle, I finally have my autism assessment at the beginning of January and I'm really nervous. 

My mum is coming with me in order to tell the assessor what I was like as a child and any other bits I'll probably be too nervous to remember at the time! 

I just wanted to know, has anyone else had a diagnosis as an adult? What is the initial appointment like? Will I have to go back a few times? And just generally what to expect.

Anything you can tell me would definitely help to calm my nerves so thank you in advance!

Parents
  • I was diagnosed at 44. I had counselling before that because the wait was long and they wanted to give me some sort of guidance.

My assessment was as follows:

- my aunt and uncle filled out an extensive questionnaire about my childhood. And added an enormous letter.

- I had two 2 hour interview sessions with a clinical psychologist.

- Then another two hour session with my husband and me.

- Then a waiting period while they were doing the report although the psychologist had already said 'Read about Temple Grandin' and I thought 'Huh, she's a serious case - that can't be me'.

- Then an hour of feedback with the clinical psychologist and a second senior psychologist and husband and kid present and I crashed. 

- Then another hour feedback session about the summary.

Turns out I have kept under the radar for my entire life (had burn outs every three years), and am a classic example of classic autism :-D

I am not going to lie. The entire period causes a lot of tension. But I am glad I did it. Dealing with the after-effect is quite tough too.

• Thank you for being honest about your experience. My appointment is at a specific assessment centre for autism in adults so who knows what their process will be like! 

• I agree with  you could just send an email asking for some more information about the process. I have just been assessed myself and diagnosed with ASD, which I am really pleased about.

The only thing I would do differently if I were to be assessed again is to ask a few more questions. If I had done so I would have spent much less time worrying unnecessarily.

Good luck with your assessment! 

• I agree with  you could just send an email asking for some more information about the process. I have just been assessed myself and diagnosed with ASD, which I am really pleased about.

The only thing I would do differently if I were to be assessed again is to ask a few more questions. If I had done so I would have spent much less time worrying unnecessarily.

Good luck with your assessment! 

Children