Autism assessment in January- I'm terrified. What do I expect?

Hi all, 

I've recently joined the community and I'm seeking some advice, I'm 26 years old and have always been fairly certain (along with my family and my GP) that I'm autistic. I finally decided to seek a diagnosis as I want to try to find out why I am the way I am and hopefully come to some form of acceptance and find some coping mechanisms. After a year long battle, I finally have my autism assessment at the beginning of January and I'm really nervous. 

My mum is coming with me in order to tell the assessor what I was like as a child and any other bits I'll probably be too nervous to remember at the time! 

I just wanted to know, has anyone else had a diagnosis as an adult? What is the initial appointment like? Will I have to go back a few times? And just generally what to expect.

Anything you can tell me would definitely help to calm my nerves so thank you in advance!

Parents
  • Nothing to worry about.

An autism assessment is almost the opposite of assessments and interviews you face in other aspects of your life.

Here they expect and are prepared for you to make social mistakes and air your dirty laundry in public.

• Nothing to worry about.

An autism assessment is almost the opposite of assessments and interviews you face in other aspects of your life.

Here they expect and are prepared for you to make social mistakes and air your dirty laundry in public.

Children