Other online forums for autistic adults

Hi everyone 

This is the only online forum for autistic adults I belong to at the moment.

It would be interesting to know your experiences of using other online forums or support groups: 

Here are a few I have found: 

Aspie Village https://aspievillage.uk UK-based social group for adults with Asperger syndrome and similar conditions

Autistic Rights Group Highlands http://www.arghighland.co.uk Group run by and for autistic adults

Autistic UK http://www.autisticrightsmovementuk.org group which campaigns to advance the interests of autistic people and those with ‘related conditions’

Autscape  http://www.autscape.org online conference specifically by and for autistic people

Wrong Planet Web https://wrongplanet.net community designed for individuals with autism, Asperger's syndrome, AD(H)D, PDDs, and other neurological differences.

I am sure there are lots more, including Facebook groups. 

• Good to know. I should turn the notification setting off then. Thanks!

• I had to be on there as part of a recruitment job I did a few years back.  I haven't used it since, so I guess my details are still up - not that it bothers me too much.  I don't tend to get any notifications from them.

• I find LinkedIn even worse. And that one is very hard to deactivate!

• That's why I've just deactivated mine.  I can always reactivate at some stage.  Somehow, though, I don't think I will.  But I just didn't want to destroy all of that stuff (even though I'd downloaded it all).

• I thiught about deleting mine. Somehow thought it was a bit drastic.

Instead I've ignored it for about two years now. Nice and quiet Relaxed

I found it was time-consuming and quite addictive. And other people seemed to progress and I'm at such a stand-still and really don't need to be reminded of it.

• I think that's a very credible future scenario.  A form of social control that, ironically, we all buy into when we purchase our smart phones and start using them for just about every aspect of our lives.

• Unfortunately there is still no real viable alternative to the Zuck, whom I suspect is unscrupulous when it comes to consolidating his agendas to power. My worst experience was when a relative told some relatives what I had told her, after she was badgered, but it is not as if her nearest and dearest had been keeping her in the loop. I was accused of letting private this game go viral, when I had taken precautions with a particular post. 

But otherwise its usefulness outweighs the risks for the time being, so far. I want to be known for my artwork and to be found! Old friends and new come under the FB umbrella too. 

It may serve as a filter too, no one could mistake me for a popularist on FB. These choices are not arbitrary, usually. Once though I did get blackballed from a job because someone had been reading my reviews of a Goth nightclub called Voodoo and consequently decided I was involved in Satanic rituals and sticking pins into dolls!  Silly woman. I'm not actively involved in that any more, but I do hear the concerns about carbon footprints. 

I do worry we could eventually get a China-type situation, where their local Facebook is also tied to your card, with which pay for everything, which is tied to all your social transactions too (as with London transport). You get too many black marks on your card and you won't even be allowed to get basic provisions. How very Big Brother. 

• Sometimes, I worry about the size of my digital footprint.  I googled my name once and was astonished to find letters I'd written to newspapers way back in the early '90s, before we even really had any internet.  How did they get there?

I've come a cropper a few times on FB.  I just don't think it's worth the hassle.  I've come a cropper on here, too, with misunderstandings.  I guess that's part of the problem with this form of communication.  Having said that.... all forms of communication are a bit problematic for me!  When I think of the opportunities I must have missed in the past through not understanding flirtation... Confused

• That is a good way of putting it! I mute a few people to keep the noise down - getting unfriended by my toxic sister in law and her minions was a great joy!

The only aspect of FB I really like is seeing what my children are doing. I also like looking at the photos my husband posts when we have had a day out somewhere. 

My three Twitter accounts are all anonymous. One of them is autism specific, one is connected with my work, and one is about education, employability and equality. 

I used to be on LinkedIn but one of my jobs means I need to be careful about sharing personal information online, so I took it down. 

• I panicked when a colleague found photos of me via my husband's FB account. The funny thing is he is scrupulous about privacy so she had to search really hard to find them. We don't get on well so it felt like being stalked.

I might change my account to one under a Pseudonym then I can just keep in touch with my children. Some of the memories FB sends me are upsetting. It strikes me as intrusive to draw attention to photos from the past. They have no idea what emotional significance they carry! 

• I deleted mine a while back.  I found the signal to noise ratio dropped to the point where it was a massive time-sink and very little of the reason why I joined in the first place was really happening.

• I deactivated my main FB account after that problem with my work colleague (work and FB are a bad mix).  I have another account, under a pseudonym, with just a few close 'friends' who migrated with me.  I hardly use it, though.

• Thanks - I've just changed the link 

• I dunno, I've literaĺly just set this up, and I'm already feeling cynical. I feel even the autistic communities I've found are quite normie and it leaves me with a hollow feeling of desperate futility. :/

• That's helpful to know - I'm always on the point of deleting my FB account but maybe I'll leave it for a while just in case. 

• I have been wondering about the other groups but haven't actually looked at any yet. 

• Heads-up, the aspie village link did not work. But then I am not in the UK.

• I was on Wrongplanet.net last year.   But unfortunately it's too much of the wrong continent. 

• I'm on wrong planet, but it's a bit too USA centered.

There are several Aspergers UK facebook groups; I'm a member of 2 or 3.

• I'm on a couple of Facebook groups but other than this forum I mainly use Asperger Experts.  

On the downside I have to pay a small monthly subscription but I really feel I need to hear from other parents and share strategies and it's very useful for that.