Autism Alert Card

I read the other day in someone elses thread about Autism alert cards and i thought to myself oh that sounds useful so i went and had a mooch online to see what i could find out and i found this web site

http://www.arghighland.co.uk/arghcard.html and after reading about the I am Autistic or I am On The Autistic Spectrum cards i thought that would be really helpful so i ordered one now there are a few ways you can do it via cheque and letter or pay online with paypal which is what i chose it's only £1.85 and my card arrived today literally 24hrs after ordering and today i had to go to hospital this afternoon for an xray and i showed the receptionist my card she was really nice she spoke slowly and asked me if i wanted to wait in a quiet place as it was busy and noisy and there was a few children screaming and running about they also got me in for my xray quickly and she must have told the radiologists as he was really nice explaining everything he was going to do and asking if he could touch me to position my arm it was really so less stressful than i was expecting and all thanks to that card so if you think it could help you i definitely recommend getting one they are plastic like a credit / bank card and fit in your wallet purse or buss pass holder etc below is copied from their website and a picture of the card

ARGH Autism Alert Card

The ARGH autism alert card designed by autistic people and is available to all autistic people, children and adults, across the UK and beyond.There are now hundreds of ARGH autism alert card holders across the UK and we are getting enquiries on a daily basis.

Our intention is that it can be used in all areas of society, shops, libraries etc: not just with emergency type situations. One holder used theirs in the shops when they were stressed looking for money the assistant was getting agitated and tutting, on seeing the card the assistant calmed down and stopped being unpleasant which gave the card holder time to gather themselves.

Made in a credit card style from high quality plastic,the alert card fits easily into a person's wallet, purse or pocket, designed to be easy to carry, it acts as a visual aid to assist both the person carrying it and the person to whom it is presented. After 5 very successful years we have decided to update our card, over the years we have had suggestions and by far the most asked for is an extra line asking not to be touched. We have also updated the card to be consistent with the language we use at ARGH so it now says "I am Autistic" on both sides we have kept the overall design as this has proven to be incredibly successful.

Parents
  • I have one of the NAS ones in my wallet, but I've never shown it to anyone yet. I would prefer not to if at all possible, but I feel like it's good to have the option. My only worry is that, if I get to the point where I'm having trouble communicating, the chances are I either won't think to get the card out, or will just fumble around, too clumsy to reach it out.

• Same here. Never had the presence of mind to whip it out in public.

• You never thought about it or never needed it?

• Hahaha, I can relate to that even though I have no card as of yet. It's like the rare occasions I get visitors. I get so wound up over when they are going to leave, I get overloaded and go all funny and stressed out. Counsellors keep on telling me I should just ask them to leave but I find that doesn't work in this world.

Maybe there should be a kind of necklace. One that is fluorescent or so? :-)

• Hahaha, I can relate to that even though I have no card as of yet. It's like the rare occasions I get visitors. I get so wound up over when they are going to leave, I get overloaded and go all funny and stressed out. Counsellors keep on telling me I should just ask them to leave but I find that doesn't work in this world.

Maybe there should be a kind of necklace. One that is fluorescent or so? :-)

Children
No Data