Merseyside Autistic Adult Support Group (set up by me!)

Basically there's not much in the way of adult support groups in the Liverpool/Wirral area so I resorted to setting my own one up.

I have started up all the social media for it and would really appreciate it if you guys took a look. The more interest I get online, the easier it will be for me to start a monthly meet up alternating between Liverpool and Wirral, look into funding etc. Our mission statement is here: https://www.facebook.com/merseysideautisticadults/posts/2235971603311792

Anyway, here are the social media links:

Instagram: https://instagram.com/merseysideautisticadults/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MerseyAutistic
Facebook: https://facebook.com/merseysideautisticadults/

Email: merseysideautisticadults@gmail.com
(Hopefully we will have an email newsletter running in the near future).

Parents
  • Just wanted to add my thanks for what your doing, meeting up and just talking to like minded people is such a good way of accepting there is nothing at all wrong with any of us, we see and feel things in a different way not a wrong one. 

Good luck and I hope you get a meet going soon.

I am based more Oxfordshire area. Not looked to hard but found a regular meeting held in a pub during the quite times, and tea and coffee plentiful, no pressure to join in and apparently quite a few turn up.

where I am working right now we park beside a “ resource “ centre, most attending are with issues, they do crafts and such things,

I got talking to one who said it was the best thing she does, stating the years of councilling hasn’t helped only caused more issues, she was diagnosed bipolar when young, her son is diagnosed autistic,

I really think she is autistic with a wrong diagnosis, asked her many questions, ticked many boxes,,,I gave her this site and links to Tania marshals site and said said just pop in and read a few accounts from women about your age, it may give you some help understanding who you are. Hope she does. 

• That's great, thanks. It's good that aspies are helping to identify other aspies. A lot of GPs just don't have a clue. My friend did a medical orientated degree and she said the mental health section of it was very small. 

• I was talking to a psychology student recently who said they only get about half a day on Autism in their entire degree. To say I was shocked would be an understatement! 

Reply Children
  • If I worked in medicine (particularly if it was mental health) then I would have to keep up with all the latest info on stuff like autism, I just couldn't help but do that. It is beyond me how some medical professionals stick to really out of date criteria and seem to think that is okay. In any job you have to continue learning. Lawyers for example can't just stick to law books from the 80s - things change.

• I recently had to visit hospital, while I was being asked questions by a nurse about my back which is why I was there, I told her all about my medication, why I chose to keep the dose as low as possible, basically a great deal of information. She asked “ are you medically trained as you seem extremely well briefed on medicine and research relating to specific medicines even I didn’t know about”

No I replied I am a builder ground worker, the look on her face was of total shock and sunrise, 

I then told her rather bravely that I was autistic, oh she said we covered that in one of our lessons, I said so you understand a little about it?

well yes but you seem to be coping extremely well, I could hear the tone of her voice change as it very slightly sounded like she was talking to a child, ( poor thing, bless)I then said have you heard of Asperger?

” Oh yes they did mention that, oh so you are one of the really clever ones, no wonder you are so good understanding such complex medical terminology’s “.said with a tone of voice that was professional and quite technically minded, ( you and I are similar)

I was in a great deal of pain, had waited many hours to be seen and wasn’t about to try and explain that the “ clever” ones were no better or worse off than the not so clever ones with autism, 

I have also had “ oh bless it doesn’t mean you can’t get on in life  though does it” grrrr gritted teeth, and breath,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not about to try and change that perception in so shirt a time. Wished I had.

I often tell the person I am autistic after they start asking me why I dress the way I do, or why I enjoy colourful clothing, they ask in a nice way, perceptions are so very wrong, they appear confused when I tell them if my liking for colour and then texture, if it feels wrong no amount of pattern or colour will change my view, no way ...yuk,,,