Merseyside Autistic Adult Support Group (set up by me!)

Basically there's not much in the way of adult support groups in the Liverpool/Wirral area so I resorted to setting my own one up.

I have started up all the social media for it and would really appreciate it if you guys took a look. The more interest I get online, the easier it will be for me to start a monthly meet up alternating between Liverpool and Wirral, look into funding etc. Our mission statement is here: https://www.facebook.com/merseysideautisticadults/posts/2235971603311792

Anyway, here are the social media links:

Instagram: https://instagram.com/merseysideautisticadults/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MerseyAutistic
Facebook: https://facebook.com/merseysideautisticadults/

Email: merseysideautisticadults@gmail.com
(Hopefully we will have an email newsletter running in the near future).

Parents
  • This is fantastic news. I wish I lived close enough to come along. We definitely need more groups like this. They seem to be very few and far between. 

• Whereabouts do you live? Currently my nearest group is in Chester - it takes me an hour to get there on a noisy busy train.

My teenage niece tried one near us but it seemed to be aimed more at autistic people with complex learning difficulties. I hesitate to use the word 'lower functioning' as it can be a source of debate in autistic circles.

• I live in North East England fairly close to Durham, Newcastle, Sunderland and Darlington. At the moment I have 5 part-time jobs which limits time and energy available to travel to a group.

I'm also awaiting the outcome of my ASD assessment. Feeling exhausted by all the listening, thinking and talking I've been doing in sessions with psychologists! 

• What's the saying... all work and no play... I need a better work life balance! One of the psychologists who contacted me tonight seems to think they've got all the information they need now. Although I keep thinking of new and better examples I could give them, probably best to let them get on with reaching their conclusions now! 

• Lots of responsibility. I admire your work ethic, you should be really proud of yourself.

It's definitely a good idea to have an interval of reflection between those chapters. 

• I'm the main wage earner so I need to work quite a few hours. I'd prefer one job as life would be much simpler but funding cuts are making that difficult. A diagnosis would enable me to ask for workplace adjustments. 

I'm putting off going through the next few chapters of my life at the moment. So much to look back on, such a lot of which only really makes sense now! 

• Are the five jobs for financial reasons or because it suits you better to have an arrangement like that? It does sound like a lot of juggling!

I understand, I had a bit of a downer after mine because it was uncomfortable going through my whole life from start to finish. I was only diagnosed this September. Good luck with that, hopefully it should help make things a little clearer.

• Are the five jobs for financial reasons or because it suits you better to have an arrangement like that? It does sound like a lot of juggling!

I understand, I had a bit of a downer after mine because it was uncomfortable going through my whole life from start to finish. I was only diagnosed this September. Good luck with that, hopefully it should help make things a little clearer.

Children
  • What's the saying... all work and no play... I need a better work life balance! One of the psychologists who contacted me tonight seems to think they've got all the information they need now. Although I keep thinking of new and better examples I could give them, probably best to let them get on with reaching their conclusions now! 

• Lots of responsibility. I admire your work ethic, you should be really proud of yourself.

It's definitely a good idea to have an interval of reflection between those chapters. 

• I'm the main wage earner so I need to work quite a few hours. I'd prefer one job as life would be much simpler but funding cuts are making that difficult. A diagnosis would enable me to ask for workplace adjustments. 

I'm putting off going through the next few chapters of my life at the moment. So much to look back on, such a lot of which only really makes sense now!