Aspies with NT partners

Hi folks

I've seen tons of threads on here from people with partners with AS, looking for advice - usually along the lines of not getting anything back from their partner and wanting to know if it's because he/she doesn't give a damn, or because the AS gets in the way.

I couldn't find anything the other way around though, and the Aspie feels like they don;t get anything back from their partner. I will be the first to admit that I often have no idea what to do if my partner gets all emotional about something. Mostly this takes the form of depression or just a big old fashioned sulk. I have tried to say/do something to cheer him up when he gets like this in the past but it doesn't seem to help so have stopped trying. Mostly he looks like he actually likes wallowing in it.

I think he thinks "we support each other", whereas I think we drag each other down. Any time I am not good, if I try to say something it generally seems to start a round of what I think of as competitive misery, so if I mention that life is grinding me down, I will get a 15 minute dissertation on why his life is worse than mine. I think I have had sympathy once, quite recently.

Fact is, I do often feel ground down. I am the main wage earner and I sometimes (well, often) feel like I am slowly killing myself just to get by. Especially at this time of year, mental health is pretty much at rock bottom. He has never once asked me how my day was, although will happily give me a blow by blow account of all the things that annoyed him as soon as I walk through the door at the end of a 13 hour day. I get no help whatsoever around the house. When I told him straight "I need help, I can't do all this on my own" it had no effect. He just ignored me and carried on as before.

I have been married twice and with my current partner for 5 years. All three of them it has felt like they don't give a stuff most of the time. Either they don't notice when I am struggling, or they notice but pretend not to because otherwise they might have to do something about it (like pull their weight occasionally). I will admit that I am not the most "in touch with my emotions" sort of person and I don't spend my whole life telling other people how I feel. I don't like overwhelming emotions, they make me uncomfortable. I am starting to wonder whether I should have stayed single. I left my second husband because I could not see what I was getting out of the relationship, apart from a ton of extra work and responsibility. Part of the problem is that everyone (family included) thinks I am "so capable" when inside I feel like I am going to end up burned out and irretrievably broken at any moment.

Has anyone managed to make this work? Anyone got any advice?

Parents
  • Moggsy

Hey mirror!  I must be your doppleganger!

• hee hee ..... thanks .... I think!

So have you found any answers to this vexing question?

• Reject relationships and stay single!

Any time I am not good, if I try to say something it generally seems to start a round of what I think of as competitive misery, so if I mention that life is grinding me down, I will get a 15 minute dissertation on why his life is worse than mine. I think I have had sympathy once, quite recently.

Fact is, I do often feel ground down. I am the main wage earner and I sometimes (well, often) feel like I am slowly killing myself just to get by. Especially at this time of year, mental health is pretty much at rock bottom. He has never once asked me how my day was, although will happily give me a blow by blow account of all the things that annoyed him as soon as I walk through the door

Like you, also the sole earner, plus domestic goddess, carer to partner and I'm also a mum.  No interest in understanding autism (my GP referred me in the summer) and thinks it can be cured by a pill.  Have also just self-referred for MH support. Partner aware of this but unless it impacts his quality of life directly... no need to show any interest. Slight smile

• Very true.... I was thinking of another animal entirely though, lol

Never sure though if it’s down to ignorance, incomprehension, malicious intent or just that I’m not explaining myself though 

• ;-) 

I think often they are like the 3 wise monkeys, well specifically the one with his hands over his ears. How does it go "if I put my hands over my ears and go la la la very loudly I can pretend this person is not inconveniently explaining their problems to me, and then I can pretend I don't know owt about it"

• Sometimes I think people will go to great lengths to ignore the problems, rather than deal with them.

I  didn't call my online persona "ElephantInTheRoom" for nothing, you know :)

• At least it does sound like they have listened to you. I hope they can keep you at a safe distance from that woman, and really understand that if you are to settle back in and find your equilibrium in the job again, you need to be far, far away from malicious influences.

It's horrible when you think you should get out, but don't have a whole heap of other options. That day is looming for me, and if I don't jump I will be pushed because the thing I work on is become less and less used these days. I could learn a new language, but my inner voice is reminding me that do that, and I am condemning myself to working in the kind of environments that I don't do at all well with, probably for the rest of my working life. I don't really know what else to do either. I am really not convinced that I would survive a permanent job .... and I guess age is realistically against me too on that score. 

I really hope that tomorrow goes OK for you, and that you can at least stick it out until you figure out what else you might like to / be able to do.

• I'm not coping either!!! - Pass the plastic spoon!

• This is what I'm going through at the moment.  Tremendous anxiety today because of returning to work tomorrow.  But my manager has texted to say she's going to give me an easy day.  Even though I won't have to work with the colleague who triggered my meltdown, though, I'm still fearful of being around her.  It's like revisiting the site of trauma.  I think it shocked everyone when I had that meltdown.  The senior manager who reprimanded me (politely and with some understanding) said 'This can't happen again.'  I had to point out to him that I had no control over it.  I didn't choose to do it.  So if it isn't going to happen again, they need to do something about the situation - not me.  I really don't know what I'll do if I have to end up leaving this job.  Age is against me.  And I think I've reached the end of it with care work. 

• Certainly true Mr T .... the jobs I have walked away from I have mostly been met with complete surprise when I have said I am leaving because I can't take it any more. 

Mind you, I have also been on the receiving end of ostentatious amazement even when I have made my feelings (and problems) very plain indeed. Somehow they were selectively deaf when I tried to tell them, but could hear just fine when I was telling them again a month later, whist holding a resignation letter. 

Sometimes I think people will go to great lengths to ignore the problems, rather than deal with them.

• Certainly true Mr T .... the jobs I have walked away from I have mostly been met with complete surprise when I have said I am leaving because I can't take it any more. 

Mind you, I have also been on the receiving end of ostentatious amazement even when I have made my feelings (and problems) very plain indeed. Somehow they were selectively deaf when I tried to tell them, but could hear just fine when I was telling them again a month later, whist holding a resignation letter. 

Sometimes I think people will go to great lengths to ignore the problems, rather than deal with them.

Children
  • Very true.... I was thinking of another animal entirely though, lol

Never sure though if it’s down to ignorance, incomprehension, malicious intent or just that I’m not explaining myself though 

• ;-) 

I think often they are like the 3 wise monkeys, well specifically the one with his hands over his ears. How does it go "if I put my hands over my ears and go la la la very loudly I can pretend this person is not inconveniently explaining their problems to me, and then I can pretend I don't know owt about it"

• Sometimes I think people will go to great lengths to ignore the problems, rather than deal with them.

I  didn't call my online persona "ElephantInTheRoom" for nothing, you know :)

• At least it does sound like they have listened to you. I hope they can keep you at a safe distance from that woman, and really understand that if you are to settle back in and find your equilibrium in the job again, you need to be far, far away from malicious influences.

It's horrible when you think you should get out, but don't have a whole heap of other options. That day is looming for me, and if I don't jump I will be pushed because the thing I work on is become less and less used these days. I could learn a new language, but my inner voice is reminding me that do that, and I am condemning myself to working in the kind of environments that I don't do at all well with, probably for the rest of my working life. I don't really know what else to do either. I am really not convinced that I would survive a permanent job .... and I guess age is realistically against me too on that score. 

I really hope that tomorrow goes OK for you, and that you can at least stick it out until you figure out what else you might like to / be able to do.

• This is what I'm going through at the moment.  Tremendous anxiety today because of returning to work tomorrow.  But my manager has texted to say she's going to give me an easy day.  Even though I won't have to work with the colleague who triggered my meltdown, though, I'm still fearful of being around her.  It's like revisiting the site of trauma.  I think it shocked everyone when I had that meltdown.  The senior manager who reprimanded me (politely and with some understanding) said 'This can't happen again.'  I had to point out to him that I had no control over it.  I didn't choose to do it.  So if it isn't going to happen again, they need to do something about the situation - not me.  I really don't know what I'll do if I have to end up leaving this job.  Age is against me.  And I think I've reached the end of it with care work.